Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

The Common And The Obscure

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 999Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add classic_paper to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Plenty of forum member collect worldwide, or USA, Canada, etc. But what's the most obscure philatelic subject/country/issue/thing you keep up personally, or have heard of another person collecting?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Soviet stamps with raster varieties.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   9:51 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect the following pretty obscure areas; 'smallest US post offices', 'tiny covers', plate number singles on HPO covers, and US post office seals.
Don
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32508 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   10:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Monty Wedd Philatelic Cartoons
Bumbunga
Burelage
Clipperton Islands
Cricket on stamps
Czernawoda
Dummy stamps
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1654 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add James Drummond to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
most obscure philatelic subject/country/issue/thing you keep up personally

Just about all of them.

And most of them aren't even considered "stamps."

Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   10:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Federal, state, and local billiards tax stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 05/24/2021   11:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Modern US errors...

Also I'm focusing on every Scott Specialized listed (major and minor) space stamp in all listed formats.

My most recent acquisition is a 1570a with a full horizontal gutter between. I think I am in my own world with this. It's needle after needle, but what I have enjoyed most is meeting and talking to a ton of people trying to track down obscurities.

What I have realized is that modern rarities/scarcities are way harder than classics to find. The hunt is awesome.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
719 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   01:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Federal, state, and local billiards tax stamps.

Part of me thinks you are having fun with us, but another very real part of my brain tells me that this is quite possibly real. The gov't (federal, state, and local) would tax air and sunshine if they could.

Mine is not nearly as obscure as others here, but for the sake of participation: I collect Troy, NY philatelic history.
Valued Member
United States
265 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   02:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Dry Tech to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The gov't (federal, state, and local) would tax air and sunshine if they could.

It's called income tax.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1705 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
US Patent license, Copyright & Royalty Fee Stamps
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1145 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   12:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect postal history written in constructed languages like Volapük and Bolak.

Volapük:

Bolak:

Pillar Of The Community
United States
661 Posts
Posted 05/25/2021   3:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Postally used, non-FDC Bhutan 3-D stamps, for one area.

Duplicate US certificates of mailing.

US COD Change Forms.

There are other areas of interest, but unlike those listed above I own none of these, I won't list them as I guess I am not yet "collecting" them.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
582 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   07:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ThomasGalloway to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Die/Knife mismatches

Normally there is a one-to-one match between an envelope's knife and the die used to print it. There are a few exceptions, however. The latest UPSS catalog identifies 23 of them. I have 9 of the 23 and suspect there are others yet undiscovered.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7477 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   08:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not having fun with you at all. Here are some from Eric Jackson's site:
https://www.ericjackson.com/rsubpro...Group=&Cond=

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6252 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   09:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Encased postage stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
719 Posts
Posted 05/26/2021   3:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Not having fun with you at all. Here are some from Eric Jackson's site:

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle!!!! Who'da thunk it?
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 19 / Views: 999Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.21 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05