Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Here's An Interesting Ebay Item

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,267Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   9:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice follow up to a strange listing and story. Also glad it is both legit and going back to the hobby. And glad the new owners ended up moving this a bit more properly and being open to advice. Definitely an interesting thread and I agree it is one that tied nicely with the other thread in discussion.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   11:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This pile, a small portion of the 10 cubic Yard dealer's estate holding as shown on eBay:

was examined and purchased for $20,000 and hauled off by a local collector/vest pocket dealer a couple of hours ago (Saturday afternoon).

For fun here are a couple cover photos I was sent from the majority of what remains:

This to FDC has the Harmer's certification as coming from the collection of POTUS Roosevelt.

These are a group followed by "individual" photos of the group items:

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32862 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It looked a bargain to me, at $10,000
after all, I am still trying to secure a set of Billigs Catalogues
that shall cost around $1000
As others mentioned, toning or damage would have been my major concern.
Apart from that, the sheer volume suggested a great deal.

Boy! there is some work ahead for that purchaser,
Is that envy I feel surfacing?
Hope not.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
As others mentioned, toning or damage would have been my major concern.

Not a problem.

Quote:
They advise there is material with certificates with catalog values to $11,000.

Don't worry rod222, the known cert material I mention was not part of the pictured bulk grouping.

Quote:
If it was really that good, it should have gone into a Rumsey auction \unless his " local collector/vest pocket dealers" re unsophisticated and willing to pay too much.

Here in the SF Bay Area, especially the "East Bay" where the material is located has many sharp, moneyed collectors around. That has a lot to do with the major quality of the local APS-WSP show, WESTPEX; consistently rank as the second best show after the summer APS Stampshow.

Also without putting too fine a point on it, that could trigger reporting requirements and perhaps even a valid SSN. One never know the position of junk-haulers in the greater SF Bay Area. Nor in California, are you permitted to ask. To do so can get yourself hit with a government fine.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/29/2021 11:50 pm
Learn More...
9678 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   04:07 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am surprised that there has not been any comments about this...

Quote:
...They listed on eBay to generate more interest...

Assuming that they had no real intention to actually sell it on eBay, was this a clever use of the venue or was this a bit slippery? Obviously the strategy worked, it got this thread started, got people contacting them...
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
74 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   07:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bid $20K on an auction years ago for boxes and boxes of original USPS material. Only bidder. Very few photos. Didn't achieve the reserve. According to the seller the reserve was $200K. Didn't find out the final outcome. Seller definitely didn't know what he was doing. If you all had contacted him as now, things would have turned out differently.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6645 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Still trying to understand this. The cell phone screenshot of the mess is current state as moved from estate to new owners marketing it? So they share photos of the pricey covers and individual stamps that were supposedly culled from the 10CY but they have stored the material that they just sold for $20,000 in a disheveled heaping mess in an outdoor metal shed?

See where I am going with this? Why on earth would you take a hoard you "rescued" years ago and throw it in a heap in an outdoor storage shed. It looks as if a typhoon hit it. They are picking from this through the years?

I smell BS here. Big time.
Learn More...
9678 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   09:05 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If they wanted to 'generate more interest' posting images of disheveled material in an outdoor shed under a brand new eBay account is not typically the first approach that comes to mind.

Or was this an intentional attempt to make it appear like a mess owned by 'noobs'? Did they start it at $10k to make sure they did not get any bids (making it harder to then cancel the listing)?
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1554 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   09:13 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few months ago I got involved with a very similar situation. A big lot on the west coast was offered on eBay with few details. I contacted the seller and he wanted to talk on the phone. He called and told me a long tale of having a storage unit full of material and he said he'd send me $20,000 worth of material for $10,000 that he needed for his ex wife. He said he just used eBay to generate interest. I asked for pictures and he sent a few uninspiring pics and then called again. The 2nd time he called he had a whole different story. It got to the point I didn't know what he had to sell or what his story really was, but I knew I wanted no part of it. I eventually told him not to call me anymore and blocked his number.
Pillar Of The Community
563 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   10:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I find it interesting the photos of the individual covers are quite different from the eBay photos….

To add to Don's query, I do wonder if on a technicality side that eBay would consider using their venue to "generate interest" for a private off-eBay sale to be a violation of TOS and eligible for some FVFees.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2707 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"Here in the SF Bay Area, especially the "East Bay" where the material is located has many sharp, moneyed collectors around."

So why not make these moneyed collectors compete for it in an a real auction instead of posting a fake eBay auction?

If they are using eBay for free advertising and as you suggest hiding from the IRS, what else are they hiding?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   01:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Why on earth would you take a hoard you "rescued" years ago and throw it in a heap in an outdoor storage shed. It looks as if a typhoon hit it.

They were hired to empty a hoarder's house and haul it all away. Part of the mess they removed from the home included this 10CY of stock of a dealer (shows and vest pocket) of 40+ years.

If you see actual hoarder's homes, and I have, what you see in the photo was as it was found and then transported. That is not an open to the elements storage box. Again, the material in the one picture was sold at $20,000 to a collector/vest pocket-eBay seller. He looked he saw he paid and he hauled away the material. Same as has been done with the other groups examined, paid for and happily hauled off.

While I can understand your thinking. This turned out to be the real deal and for these brothers some serious money with only time and self-driven learning as the investment.

As this has developed, I heard the name of the departed dealer and I know living dealers who sold to him over the years, even back in his beginnings. None of which I have permission to share.

Anyone touching this gets a win, especially the young men with the sense not to dump it all into a paper cycling bin or land fill. The loss was the lack of caring or communication between the dealer and his heirs resulting in the unknown request (or even perhaps the known disposal of just some stamps of no interest to them) to dump six figures, wholesale, of middle of the road philatelic material. As someone said after review, I saw six or seven excellent mint White Plains sheets, but I have enough of them to sell already, I don't need more at any price. This is almost the nightmare scenario prompting all the "helping heirs" advice areas. It was just a very bad dream as the material was not lost to the hobby which would have made it a nightmare.

When WESTPEX 2021 rolls around in late July this year, I suspect there will be some conversations about this dealer's holdings and return back into the hobby.

Quote:
Or was this an intentional attempt to make it appear like a mess owned by 'noobs'? Did they start it at $10k to make sure they did not get any bids (making it harder to then cancel the listing)?
Don

They were noob's who spent time trying to learn about the material which just fell into their lucky unsuspecting laps. The eBay listing did generate interest and the photo of group material sold for $20K. The better material was not part of that small fraction of the original. The better stuff has and is still selling in chunks.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   01:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I find it interesting the photos of the individual covers are quite different from the eBay photos….

They were made from the same cell phone. For those sent to me, I did crop out the guy's lap and legs before posting. A photography class could help as well.

Quote:
If they are using eBay for free advertising and as you suggest hiding from the IRS, what else are they hiding?

If for example one is not allowed to have an SSN, one cannot provide one. On eBay and other selling sites if ones sales exceed $600 per year now, income documents must be issued (use search function on the SCF); this being a change as part of one of POTUS Biden's stimulus bills. Thus in such circumstances, there can be sanctuary state workarounds one must use. For those unaware, California is a sanctuary state with some of the strongest laws protecting the undocumented and dreamers.

Who is to say the purchaser was found due to eBay? And, eBay can always close the account. Likewise one is not to send contact information via eBay, that doesn't stop folks from doing so. When and if eBay figures it out they are free to take action against the account. While such may bother you and me, it does not bother everyone.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,267Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05