Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kelleher Crimson Collection Sale - 757

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 452Next Topic  
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
116 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add BobInRye to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just received my hardcopy catalog for the Crimson Sale. Super nicely packaged - nesting boxes; then bubble wrap around the book case with the book case shrink-wrapped in plastic. And of course, the book itself (and the book case) are both red. Time to check out the lots - although I've done an online pre-scan.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
23 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My copy came this afternoon, three days after yours. Obviously, they know who is more likely to have winning bids so they cater to them first. Happy bidding!
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
481 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   6:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received my copy today; as BobInRye says, this is a very impressive presentation by Kelleher. I was disappointed in one minor detail; usually named (either collectors or collections) sales of this importance have a bio page in the printed catalog about the collector that does not necessarily appear online, but this one doesn't. I had a more than usual desire to see this collector's bio because I was hoping to "connect the dots" to confirm or disprove some information I was told about the collection. A reliable source told me that this was the collection of Bill Langs' business and personal attorney and the stamps are almost all ex-Langs. I form no value judgement as to whether that is a good or bad thing; I will say that the thought of him possibly paying for legal advice with stamps instead of money is just, well, so "Bill". Does anyone know if this info is good or bogus?
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
116 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rhett - I share your disappointment with the lack of a bio. I have also heard the same rumor about the owner of the collection and his relationship with Bill Langs. I think that the quality of the stamps on offer is a bit better than what was seen in Kelleher's previous Langs' sales, though.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
481 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   7:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BobInRye, I agree that these Crimson Collection stamps are overall definitely a cut above those in the previous Kelleher sales of the Langs material.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   7:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The sale has the hallmarks of a Lang/Kelleher production such as undisclosed faults and certs.

Take a look at the 211D, Lot 285.

https://stampauctionnetwork.com/V/v...3.cfm#Lot285

The Kelleher description states
Quote:
ex Caspary, with photocopy of 1957 P.F. certificate, plus original 1989 P.F. and 2015 P.S.E. certificates, the last graded XF 90.

There is a PF cert that is not mentioned in Kelleher's description. The following from the 211D Siegel census:

Quote:
Notes:

Provenance:
Caspary Collection, HRH 11/21/1956 as block of four - $2,100
Hansen Coll.ection, Siegel Sale 963, 10/28/2008, lot 830 - $62,500 hammer
Certificates:
PFC 7405 as block of four "Genuine" (T.L. stamp)
PFC 7405A as single "Genuine"
PFC 218671 "Genuine"
PFC 468487 "Genuine, narrow hinge thin at top"

Do you see Kelleher mention PF cert 468487 that states "Genuine, narrow hinge thin at top"? I don't.

This is the first and only lot that I did a bit of research on. Enough for me.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1148 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   11:08 am  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There is clearly plenty in there that has nothing to do with Langs. There's an interesting provenance article on SAN https://stampauctionnetwork.com/get...ghlights.cfm
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 452Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05