Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Very Interesting US Bob Auction Item

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,126Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Nells250 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just ran into this auction lot and find it very interesting in a few ways:

https://www.liveauctioneers.com/ite...-box-and-can

The first thing I noticed, of course, is the name and logo. No need to go into that, as it is a plain and simple fact that the symbol has been used in one form or another for many centuries by many countries.

SECOND, is the USIR Alcohol tax stamp.

THIRD is the Railway Express label.

The WARNING label is no slouch, either.

Am I the only one who finds this item rather fascinating???
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
470 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jleb1979 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That there is some good stuff!

Quite interesting in several different respects, and it looks to be in great shape.
Wow.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting that a package like that was never opened! Notice the listing claims the alcohol seems to have evaporated. Air-tight isn't always air tight I guess!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See: https://mallstuffs.com/Blogs/BlogDe...l%20industry for details about Peoria Brewer's use of the symbol. Scroll down nine images and it follows. The link discusses the symbol in pharma industry and consumer products in the USA.

Also discussed are the companies from the city in Ontario, Canada founded in 1908 by the name of Swastika which still exists today.

Yes, this is a fantastic item of "dimensional philately" for the USIR Revenue stamp collector. "Dimensional philately" was a term coined by a dealer (Kirk's of Clipper Mills, Ca., or Ausdenmoore-McFarlane of Michigan) to describe a WWII WWI German Helmet mailed back to the USA with postage affixed to and the address written directly on the outside of the helmet. It had a price and was stored on top the shelves at the various shows.

Edit: Right helmet, wrong war. See link posted below as that is the helmet. Thanks rogdcam.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/29/2021 01:19 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 05/28/2021   8:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   06:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Back to the topic of alcohol containers and their tax stamps.

Quote:
Am I the only one who finds this item rather fascinating???

I do too! No need to be afraid of 3-D philatelic or fiscal material. For the record, here is the description and photos from this lot for when the link in the original post does not work:

Quote:
Rare Swastika Brand, Grain Alcohol can in unsealed original packaging, The Peoria Corporation, Peoria, Ill. Sealed box never been opened, Tin can inside, it seems the alcohol has evaporated. Very unusual piece. 11" x 7" x 4.5"

It was interesting to see an intact shipping box to show the outer sealing method. I have a similar box, which has been opened. The date on my box is 1-8-1934. As I will define it, here is the front view:

The left and front panels:

The right and back panels (front and back panels look alike):

The bottom half of the left panel showing taxpaid stamp:

Close-up of the taxpaid stamp:

The opened box showing the metal can inside:

Detail of the cap and spout:

Detail of the underside of cap showing what appears to be only a thin waxed paperboard liner, which would easily let the contents wick-out in 90 years:

On the topic of bulk alcohol containers, here is a larger Rossville brand can dated April 12, 1933 containing 3.80 proof gallons. It is 10" high and 8.5" in diameter. Note the collapsible spout, which I extended. Three views as the can is rotated:

Close-up of the taxpaid stamp (1 gallon + coupons at the top for the balance) and the contents panel:

Rossville even had cinderella labels, in sheet and coil (or booklet?) formats:
Pillar Of The Community
United States
782 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   07:45 am  Show Profile Check orstampman's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add orstampman to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, John for the great photos, and inclusion of some of your 3-D material! How neat that the Rossville Grain Alcohol container is from your neck of the woods (perhaps from a estate or company sale?).
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5926 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are they selling these things to singles ONLY (i.e., already divorced, separated, widowed, or confirmed bachelor)?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These are all industrial strength 190 proof alcohol.
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neat photos! I wonder, how/when did they cancel the stamps? It seems like well before being affixed to the packages/items BUT did the USIR do it, or the end-user?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   7:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In that era there were storekeeper-gaugers on site. The are the ones who had the booklets in which the stamps were placed and cut the tabs to fit the number of proof gallons. It was the proof gallons that determined the amount of the tax. Proof gallons are different from what we think of gallons. A gallon of 190 proof alcohol is 1.9 proof gallons as we see in some of the above illustrations.
Ron Lesher
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
43 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   8:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add RXC to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had never seen these before. Thank you for showing them. How do you store or display them?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
revenuermd - I was referring to the black(ink) cancels, but now I see what you were referring to... the large blue stamp with bits cut off. There must have been a lot of trust involved back then, unless it was someone else's job to confirm the merchant did things properly?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black ink cancels were done by the Internal Revenue storekeeper-gaugers. Somewhere I have one of the stencils that was used to put the five wavy line cancels over the stamp tying it to the container. The five wavy lines were part of the nineteenth century law (not regulations, but the statutes enacted by Congress).
Ron Lesher
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2828 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Check Nells250's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Nells250 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think maybe I am confused about the "Internal Revenue storekeeper-gaugers"... is that a person or a thing?

;-)

Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   4:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
In 1868 there was a person with the title Storekeeper and a person with the title Guager, both employees of Internal Revenue. They worked at distilleries and supervised what was going on there. Later they combined these two titles for a single person, but still on site of every distillery.
Ron Lesher
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 28 / Views: 1,126Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.78 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05