Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Good Buyers - Where Are They?

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 625Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   11:39 am  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add Stamps1962 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I just got back into selling. No feedback of any kind from anyone since December. One buyer bought two albums then argued with me about the shipping. Another bought what I said was a non working radio- for parts then complained about how long the shipping was and is now wanting a refund.

Something happened during shutdown, and it's not good.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
888 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Odd, not my experience at all. Excellent buyers on the whole and most provide feedback.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   12:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
then complained about how long the shipping was and is now wanting a refund.

That request is within the rules of eBay. eBay has not lengthen the time allowed before shipping/lack of delivery complain can be raised. You as a seller are free to use any delivery service you want, and some sellers are going with FedEx or other private carriers.

I can't comment on the shipping price for the albums as you provide no details.
Learn More...
9491 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   12:07 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
See https://www.ebay.com/sch/cmarsha/m....=1&LH_Sold=1
Don

The one guy purchased two albums and paid $30 for shipping; I think that is a bit high but it is certainly within the terms of the listing (seller does not mention combining shipping so buyer is responsible for the full charge on both listings).
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
[I was there Don when you replied.]

Well, the shipping prices are indicated on each lot. I see you used priority. What was the complaint? Combined shipping? Wanted less expensive ground? Fill us in.

In one shipping case I had, the seller was charging a lot to ship a light item (aluminum storage box). The distance was in zone 1 thus Zone 1 & 2 rates applied. I finally gave up arguing and just ate the extra cost and paid the invoice. Once the package arrived I saw the problem which caused the issue. The seller used a huge box in comparison to the size of the item thus triggering the balloon rate of postage. The box was more than 4 inches thicker than needed and exceeded the balloon triggering dimensions by 1/2 inch in thickness. I left no feed back as a result, but if I did should the sellers convenience cost me unneeded money? No feedback avoided answering the question.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2008 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Check Stamps1962's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add Stamps1962 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This guy bought both collections, then paid $15 for shipping on both. I tried to explain that albums are heavy but then just ate the difference and mailed both. I double checked this but that is what happened. Not his fault but I just didn't want to argue.
Learn More...
9491 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   12:37 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think those albums would have fit into a Regional Rate B Priority box (1 per box) which averages around $11.50 to ship. But some sellers do not know about the Regional Rate Priority boxes (most POs do not stock them, you have to order them). They can also be a bit tricky to list with since the rate changes with distance...
Don

Edit: Well for $15 shipping total for both albums I do not know what he could be complaining about, you gave him a good deal.
Valued Member
Canada
153 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PMStamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with the OP. Feedback has become almost non-existent on HipStamp and maybe 1 in 5 on eBay. I even questioned a Buyer who alternated his shipping addresses between the USA and the middle East, whether he was getting the items that he was buying on an almost weekly basis, with no feedback provided. His response was that he doesn't know what he has and what he has not received. How does a Seller deal with that if a claim ever comes up?
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   1:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Happy holiday to all. Me thinks both buyers and sellers need to chill out a little.
Learn More...
9491 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   1:38 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think that many folks think that selling venue Feedback systems are largely useless marketing for the selling venue and does not really reflect a seller very well. The reasons for this are many and not limited to; people running up their own scores with multiple accounts, people buying existing accounts with faked feedbacks and selling venues removing feedbacks on demand. The bottom line is that many people do not trust them at all.

The same can be said for other online 'reviews' which are systematically biased and easily manipulated. There are countless people who make a living writing online reviews. Tens of thousands of the Amazon reviews are fake.

I think that people are just getting smarter about these 'feedbacks' and 'reviews'. Given the amount fo issues with them, folks have just given up on using them. I stopped using the eBay feedback system about 5 years ago. The more a seller pesters me about leaving them a feedback the less likely I am to buy form them again. But I do try to send them a message outlining my buying experience which allows much more detail than a rating system.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
How does a Seller deal with that if a claim ever comes up?

Smiling all the way to the bank with knowing no need to issue a refund.
It is called, "the buyer trusts you."
Pillar Of The Community
550 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   3:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have never understood buyer's complaints about shipping if the price is either listed ahead of time or if they do not inquire ahead about a combined shipping cost. Regardless of what the seller puts the shipping price as and regardless of whether they want to ship a toothpick inside a crate, if the price is listed and you buy the item, be prepared to pay the listed cost. Simple. If you walk into a high end restaurant and complain that a plate of fries cost $14.99 when you could get them at McDonalds for $2, don't buy them from place A.

Buyer's also often do not appreciate the nuances of a seller unless they also sell items. Finding the exact proper size box is not always easy or it costs money, plus there is time involved. If the seller chooses to factor this in, whether it be charging the cost of the box, making the item more expensive, or charging a higher shipping quote for a bigger box - that is presumably listed ahead of time and the buyer can make an informed decision as to the impact on their wallet. Period.

Same goes for customs fees. I have had buyers complain that they got dinged customs fees because I put the sale price of the item on the parcel and checked off "Sale". Essentially the seller is harassed for being honest and following rules. For shame.

I am both a buyer and seller and see both sides of the coin, whether it be costs, time, delays, customs, etc etc. Sellers should do their best to have full disclosure and to do their best to insure the item arrives safely and buyers should be aware of what expenses they may incur prior to pressing Buy. Any concerns should be addressed prior to buying. The mechanics are simple.

On the PLUS side to this mini-rant, my overwhelming experience is positive as both a buyer and seller on eBay. I DO find some disappointment in the packaging (rather, lack thereof) of many sellers but so far most items have arrived safe or safe enough to my satisfaction. I have provided private feedback to sellers before and it is often well received. Constructive feedback can be helpful. As a seller, I also have very few issues. Overall I find eBay to be an incredible venue for most items needing to purchase or unload and I hope it remains without too much negative alteration in the future. It serves an amazing niche market for collectibles and pre-owned items of whatever sort. I hope they don't continue to tailor too much to the new mass-market goods as there is enough venues like that already. But I digress.
Pillar Of The Community
550 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will add, and perhaps should have prefaced, that my piece above excludes cases where sellers are purposely trying to profit off the shipping cost. I have seen listings with insane shipping charges for dollar items. I know in the past this was attempted from circumventing fees but that's a different topic. Either way, at the end of the day, the shipping price is still listed there so short of the seller trying to tack it on after the fact, it still boils down to the same thing. If the price disclosed and charged is what it comes to, then the onus is on the buyer to fulfil the purchase contract.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
507 Posts
Posted 05/29/2021   5:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wtcrowe to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One reason for lack of feedback is that sellers don't want the real information posted. Should I want to give a less than perfect rating for an item description, I may find myself locked out from future bidding with an e-bay seller. There is a seller in Washington State who decided that Covid-19 gave him the right to take 4 weeks to enter the purchase into the US mail system. If you complain and request faster shipping, you will be black balled. So if being honest means giving a less than 5 star rating, I don't leave feedback.
As to shipping, I decide what I want to pay for an item and deduct shipping cost from my bid.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
696 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   6:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dutchman1948 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As many sellers say, No feedback is good feedback.
and
Careful what you wish or ask for, as you may not get what you wanted.

Personally, the feedback system is a crock. I leave feedback for both buyers and sellers and am not worried about if I get anything back or not.

It is not worth the aggravation.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   7:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never understood buyer's complaints about shipping if the price is either listed ahead of time or if they do not inquire ahead about a combined shipping cost. Regardless of what the seller puts the shipping price as and regardless of whether they want to ship a toothpick inside a crate, if the price is listed and you buy the item, be prepared to pay the listed cost. Simple.

Were buyer's complains can found to have some foundational basis for said complaint should be squarely on the shoulders of Amazon's Prime Service. Free shipping of most anything free and nearly overnight.

If that seller can ship for free, why can't the album seller do the same? Prime works for philatelic orders. And so it goes...

One shipping issue I see on eBay was the push to "free shipping" from the sellers (Not that one model fits all sellers). Of course there is nothing free about free shipping. So some stamp dealers who would start their items at $2 with a 99 cent shipping went to charging $2.99 with free shipping, with the shipping cost embedded into the price. The issue arises that before if I purchased five items from the seller, I would pay the item prices but only 99 cents or slightly more for the combine shipping of the material. Yet with free shipping those same lots cost just as much but the embedded shipping of 99 cents each set me back $4.95 in shipping and the seller makes out with the difference.

Additionally, seller are able to build their invoicing to deduct that embedded shipping cost, but I have yet to know of a seller who has done so.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/30/2021 7:46 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 625Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.71 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05