Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Input About Imperforates

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 730Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   5:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ revenuecollector:

I fully agree with both you and the cat.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   4:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK, so new question that I've seen mentioned here: Why is grading seen as a bad thing, or basically an insult to the community? Because that's the impression I'm getting anytime grading is mentioned. If that's true, why?
Edited by STTScott - 06/01/2021 4:22 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   5:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's not an insult. It just seemingly divides the community. So instead of having divisive conversation, where people aren't changing their opinions either way, it's best a conversation to be had elsewhere. I think the "community" is stronger without focusing on it and instead raising the philately bar across all the other wonderful facets.

Maybe I'm somewhat off base, but that's the gist.

I believe intellectual discussion on grading is still ok as long as it doesn't break down, but I think that never happens.

Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 06/01/2021   6:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
... So instead of having divisive conversation, where people aren't changing their opinions either way, it's best a conversation to be had elsewhere. I think the "community" is stronger without focusing on it and instead raising the philately bar across all the other wonderful facets...

Quoted for truth.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   10:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
OK, so new question that I've seen mentioned here: Why is grading seen as a bad thing, or basically an insult to the community? Because that's the impression I'm getting anytime grading is mentioned. If that's true, why?

Somewhat triggers in a few the unkind version of one-upmanship and the darkside need to put down another. For example:

I started a small company which grew bigger than I cared to deal with nor could I handle so I sold it. The first billion was spent on the normal things, homes, fast cars, women, yachts, private plane, you get the idea. Second billion I spread around on private islands and big ranches.

Next I play with my hobbies, maybe pick up a baseball team, back an Indy car driver team, make a run at the America's Cup as well as work on my stamps. [Think Jimmy Thudpucker collects stamps Doonesbury 4-15-1979 https://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/1979/04/15 --If you cannot read it see ** below]

I realize seeing as how I accidentally got a duplicate US Scott C3a (just like Jimmy), I go for fun and buy all the known copies except the one or two unaccounted for ones. Then I carefully reassemble the sheet with all stamps in the correct position. I then put it on display at the next major international stamp show where a hidden microphone is placed to record the people's comments and mutterings as they view it for the first time.

I promise you that within the first ten comments
, at least one person will say, "But they are all hinged now. I can stop looking for a copy as I only collect NH--he ruined it for me."

A second comment will be along the lines of, "Why did he bother getting the straight edge copies and those several poorly centered ones? I guess the putz could not afford all excellent copies. And just look at position 58, it is the best of the bunch here, but barely graded a 95. See honey, my 23 year old perfect ten arm candy you, that is why I only do the best stamps that grade 98 or higher. You are my 10 honey, you beat them all. [Oh Farnsworth dear, you make me giggle. I knew a ten was the best and thanks for buying the DD, little licky things, ah, stamps, for my mail. My two Ds together are 44, right?] "

Yeah, I think that story covers it.

** Not my description but it works:
(There's a great old Doonesbury strip where Jimmy Thudpucker, the super-rich rock star, tells his wife he has taken up stamp collecting then calls a stamp dealer, asks for a complete run of Monaco stamps, hangs up the phone and says "well, that was fun. I guess I'll do Netherlands next." The internet, and eBay in particular, have essentially turned us all into Jimmy Thudpucker.) From https://mightygodking.com/2008/07/2...-go-to-cons/

Lastly for those who do not recognize US Scott C3a:

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/03/2021 12:16 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
119 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   11:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
ParcelPostGuy - excellent post although the Doonesbury toon refers to Netherlands next in your link.

Yes, internet shopping makes it easy to get a grade B collection, but it doesn't really help with anything moderately rare. I've got about 15 US 1800s stamps I've been hunting for 10 years (no, 164 is not in the list) online, through dealers, at shows, and auctions - no luck. Maybe the Scott catalog's counts and pricing are wrong, but the hunt is non trivial and yes, fun because of it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   12:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Netherlands

And so it says now in my post, which really was taken as is, but now corrected. Thank goodness I did not copy answers in school, I likely would have picked the kids with the wrong ones.

Quote:
no, 164 is not in the list

However if you wanted to just fill the space for a while, a 164 P4 single on card is at $9.50 with three bids and a P1 at $27.50 over the $400 cat are sitting on eBay. I just mention that as a way to fill the space until a real stamp comes along for those 15 in question. As the 164, was that you who picked up the used rib paper version? I see it sold in Siegel back in '04 for just a wee bit over high estimate, like just $25K. Me, I would hold my head up and bid on the P4. I mean really, that one Siegel sold was cut into the design, be a joke to send it in for grading; what, hoping for a very good 50? Like that will raise the price.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/03/2021 01:10 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 730Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05