Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding The Effects Of Stamp Affixing Machines On Stamps

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 735Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

Israel
25 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gum side to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I've seen a number of articles and posts on forums that deal with the subject of stamp affixing machines and how they work - but a subtle issue I haven't found an answer to is this: what was the affect of such a machine on the stamp being affixed?

For example would an affixer apply more force in applying the stamp than a human or would a stamp be damaged in any way by the affixation?

Would there be any signs of the gum/glue or water around the stamp as a result of the machine applying the stamp?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
661 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
would a stamp be damaged in any way by the affixation?

The most visible and common effect is poor centering of the separation cut between stamps.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 05/30/2021 3:46 pm
Learn More...
9478 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   4:40 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gripper marks are common; some previously posted images

You do do a forum search on 'gripper mark' to read more about these.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
625 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   04:59 am  Show Profile Check kcaramat's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add kcaramat to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a copy of a stamp that has passed through a Schermack Mailing Machine.

Many collectors assume that the slots are what moved the stamp through the machine. They are not. The stamps were moved my 4 steel fingers. The slots were used to locate the stamp prior to the knive severing it from the coil.

As with this stamp, evidence of the 4 steel fingers may be left on the right hand side of the stamp.
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   03:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My apologies for acknowledging late! I'm just now reviewing the replies - thank you! You provided me with very important information. I'd never seen these kinds of physical signs on stamps
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   07:33 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What's your impression of this stamp? Are those vertical perforation "imperfections" the result of an affixer or possibly a horizontal vending machine dispenser?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7520 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gumside, I think you answered your own question. That stamp looks like it has been badly affected by a mechanical affixer or vending machine

Peter
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   09:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Do you have any sense if it's one or the other? For us in the Mandate community the answer could be ground-breaking in our research
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   10:50 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is my two cents worth. If the stamp was affixed or dispensed by a machine, I would expect the top and bottom horizontal perforations to show evidence of mechanical separation, i.e., the perforation teeth would be more uniform in shape than what is seen above (even cuts or tears across the length). The machine would have been loaded with horizontal strips or roll of stamps. Now, if the stamps were separated into strips by hand before loading into the machine, then my expectation is wrong.

Robert
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   12:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I sense there are two similar things being mixed here. Each will (may?) display different evidence on the stamp. Consider:

1. Vending machines: Insert a coin or two, turn the crank, and get a strip of stamps. These I believe are the ones with the short vertical scratch marks across Washington's head. Knife-cut every 5 stamps or so, then torn by the customer to apply them. I have seen these most frequently seen on individual's mail (rather than business mail). Note all 4 examples Don shows in the early post. They are knife-cut on one side, torn on the other.

2. Affixing machines: typically used by business to affix large numbers of (usually) single stamps quickly. Identical knife-cuts on both sides, and often at a slight angle or arc. Note the same diagonal slice to BOTH sides of the Mail-O-Meter test coil above.

Palestine stamp: too irregular for any affixing device. I suspect the user tore the sheet into horizontal strips, then licked, stuck, and then tore off the balance - and repeated the manual process. The "pull" wasn't quite along the perforation row and thus thinned consistently into each stamp. It would be fairly easy to reproduce the effect.
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   12:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John! That makes sense... the horizontal perfs look naturally detached too. Ironically I rarely see examples of this type of tear but very plausible as you describe
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   12:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
...does anyone have an visual example of how a non-US machine-affixed stamp looks?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1358 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Trainwreck to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a modern Germany stamp with serrations caused by a dispensing machine.

Not sure if this will help being a modern stamp.

Robert
Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   04:06 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Robert! The value in these images is seeing first-hand how things look, and learning from them what they mean. Stamp perforations and detachments is a language of its own...

Another question - specifically for John, but open to anyone who may know: is there a difference between the appearance of a stamp cut by scissors versus by guillotine (or a machine's knife)? I'm under the impression that a scissor's cut would leave some kind of pressure mark on paper or stamp teeth. In a separate post about affixers John had described how they would cut stamps from end to end and not in one motion, so I though he may know if there is a difference also in the end appearance of the severed paper.
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   09:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Two cuts made by scissors will not be identical to one another in angle. And users typically don't cut coils into single stamps with scissors.

The point of the cutting motion in affixers or vending machines is like the trick of feathering a telephone book before tearing it in half. Like a scissor motion, cutting from one end to the other or make a puncture in the center and go toward each end in two cuts.

(It would be easier to show and discuss specific examples rather than the theoretical.)

Valued Member
Israel
25 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   03:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks John! Every explanation in a valuable insight unto understanding how things work and why.

If you have a moment, can you tell me what this perforation mark might be? I see these 'crimp' looking marks from time to time on (Mandate) stamps but can't imagine why they might be there. Usually I see them (as here) right across a horizontal axis. The image is upside down because I had to try to get the lighting right to make the crimp mark visible:

Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 735Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05