Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question Regarding The Effects Of Stamp Affixing Machines On Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 872Next Topic
Page: of 2
Learn More...
9629 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   04:38 am  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My guess is that the stamps were folded over before separation (often done to ease separating) and what you are seeing is a "fold over crease".
Don
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Israel
37 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   03:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you! That makes sense... again, one of those marks that you see from time to time but not intuitive what it is
Valued Member
Israel
37 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   06:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm posting a follow-up question to this thread because the content related to the appearance to stamp separations and perforations. Here I have a few more that exhibit appearances that don't look (to me) like ordinary separations. Can anyone tell how these might have been detatched?

Here the tooth tips don't have fibers, and from a distance the vertical axis looks mostly straight. The teeth are not all the same height but they don't look detatched from tearing -?

Here the focus is on he vertical side but also from the visible portion of the horizontal axis the teeth appear cut/sliced albeit not to the same heights:

In an earlier post I was told these kinds of teeth tips are the result of folding along the axis, and indeed that's what this looks like (teeth folded inwards) - but why aren't there any fibers at the tips? Was the stamp cut/sliced?

Unfortunately for the images to be sufficiently small to be accepted for posting the image here isn't 100% clear: the tooth tips show a decline near the tips down to their edge, like something mashed the paper at the tips. Any ideas what that might be?

The top horizontal perforation teeth are unusually tall and from a distance they look cropped, but looked at more closely the tips are not all straight, a few have some fibers and a couple have tips that lean to the left... what is this? Along the other perimeters the teeth heights all vary and bear no consistency.
Edited by gum side - 07/14/2021 08:40 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32792 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
but why aren't there any fibers at the tips? Was the stamp cut/sliced?

Opinion.
There are fibres at the tips, you just cannot see them under this magnification.
Consider paper, modern harder calendered stamp paper, show reduced evidence of fibres.
Softer paper, 20th century issues do, some markedly.

Some used stamps, when they have been stored badly, in shoe boxes or plastic containers, can show rounded perf tips that basically are just damaged.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1979 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To me the perf tips in this thread look pretty normal.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 20 / Views: 872Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05