Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Anomaly On Mongolian Stamp

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 1,970Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4474 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   9:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add redwoodrandy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This is a high dollar mnh stamp that will sell for top dollar. Would the second perf down on the left side be considered a reason to downgrade this stamp?
Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   10:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
Not at all !
Sc#82 1943 A19 60 mung CV $100?
Nice burelage.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 05/30/2021 11:25 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1992 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   11:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with Rod. I'm picky about perfs but don't mind "extra" paper. As long as there isn't MISSING paper...
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 05/30/2021   11:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same here Shermae.
Poses a quandry, I have success removing extra paper with my Prinz long pointies, but would shy away with a valuable stamp.

Cut it with a scalpel, or knife, and it would be noticeable.
Just leave it well alone.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   12:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd want to look very closely at it, that side looks somewhat like a reperf job to me.
Pillar Of The Community
1015 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   12:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrewM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If there's any reperfing, I'd say the right side is a more likely candidate with all those neat perf holes, but that stamp doesn't look reperfed to my (amateur) eyes. The paper fuzz where the perfs were punched out is a good sign of proper stamp perforating, and you see that on all sides though less so on the right.

As for the perf hole on the left, that's not an issue in any way. I'm always a little surprised to find an old stamp with a perforations still not completely open or perforated paper still stuck in the perforation cut-out, and so on. How can the owners of these stamps control themselves? I'd be tempted to "massage" it to what would look best, removing the offending bit of paper and so on. Nice stamp, by the way.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
702 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   01:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd leave it and not worry. The only down grade is the piece missing from the stamp to the left, if it still exists.

To those who would want to pull the paper buy it and do what you want. Collector folks do the darnedest things. At one of my clubs a bidder purchased a nice mint NH set of plate number singles. After he won, still at the club he carefully removed all the selvage and tossed t in the waste bin. Why? stamps with selvage don't fit in the mounts of his hingeless album.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   02:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I quite regularly, remove chads and fragments from used stamps.
Using the Prinz Long Pointies.
Very rarely have accidents.

What I have learnt to resist (Other than bickies in the supermarket aisle) are....

1. Doing so, on mint stamps
2. Removing ANY selvedge, it helps to prevent toning attack, from paper hairs at the ripped teeth
3. Bending selvedge over the back of the stamp, to get in a mount, it generally adheres.
4. Pulling apart stamps that are attached so very lightly by the gum being lightly fluid from humidity.
You may get 1 or 2 apart successfully, the next lifts parts off the face of the next stamp to huge disappointment.
I sacrifice the gum and soak.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4474 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   04:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod catalog value is now $3,000. Quite an increase!

Parcelpostguy please explain further "I'd leave it and not worry. The only down grade is the piece missing from the stamp to the left, if it still exists."

Will post scan of reverse when I receive the scan.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 05/31/2021 11:41 am
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   04:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Rod catalog value is now $3,000. Quite an increase!

My Scott 2017 shows it at $90
(Not that I wish you anything but $3,000)
What am I missing?
I collect Mongolia, but do not have that issue.

Included here for $4.99 (Forgeries apparently)
Edited by rod222 - 05/31/2021 04:53 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4474 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   04:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am also perplexed by the 2021 catalog value and would like more information.

Anyone have Michel? The cat. number is 66.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
1209 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   05:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Tim H to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@Billsey, the stamp doesn't look reperforated to me. Even the "clean" right margin is a bit frayed in places.

It's a tough set to collect as there are many forgeries, especially used (nearly all are CTO or simply faked cancels). The set has been a gap in my Mongolia collection for a while since I got rid of my forgeries.

As for the extra but of paper on the left side, leave it. Better that way than short on your stamp.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32884 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   05:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Randy,
as an aside, the last expensive Mongolia I have seen.
was in 2018
Sc#23 was listed at $750
I was outbid, (possibly by another SCF member) at $77
(Not aware of the final knock down bid.

Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This stamp used just sold at Siegel on 12/14/20 for $1600. The same stamp was previously sold at Siegel 5/21/20 for $900:

https://siegelauctions.com/lots.php...1229-lot-325

Jackie

Edited by paulsonja - 05/31/2021 08:04 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6657 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   08:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pricing commentary regarding Mongolia Scott 75-82 from the Gitner Linn's column circa 2017:

https://www.linns.com/news/world-st...et-tips.html
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 05/31/2021   08:22 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link, Rogdcam. This is a very hard set to find except for #75. I have #75, #78, and #79. Early Mongolia is fascinating and tracking down genuine stamps is not for the faint of heart, especially the overprints.

Jackie
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 1,970Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05