Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Anomaly On Mongolian Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 1,926Next Topic
Page: of 6
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   07:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2 things:

1. Raritan is auctioning off a used example of Scott #82 today! I will probably watch but I can't justify the price. It's currently at $700. Someday after we buy the house.

2. I bought a stamp today with a certificate by none other than Dr. Orth listed as Scott 53. My album is a Minkus album and the certificate is SG--it appears to be the correct Scott number (I have found that not always to be a given with the overprints). I just may be more excited about the certificate than I am about the stamp.

Jackie
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   12:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   1:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats! And I believe a lot cheaper than the previous one :)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   2:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. A total steal. Thrilled.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   2:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $1,000 , catalog at $3,000 for the above stamp .
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   2:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Here is the stamp I picked up today and certificate:

A good day for Mongolia!

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   4:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is one time I am envious of the cert. Fine stamp too.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   4:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found above stamp on eBay for 10% of what you paid for yours--not counting buyer's fee of course . . . Listing said the cat value is $125, my 2012 catalogue doesn't have a price. Seller has a MH listed for $194, no cert. I looked at both but it was the cert that I wanted just as much as the stamp in this case, if that makes sense.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6626 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   4:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congratulations to you both!
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks rodgcam, always nice to pick up something hard to find.

Assuming it's ok for links:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203519147136

My 2012 catalogue says Mongolia 53 and 54 are unpriced. I don't see it listed at all without overprints. I have a couple of revenues without overprints--1,2,5 and 20 cent. No clue what they are worth but I paid $1 apiece so not really concerned.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks. I did find the eBay listing. Unpriced in Scott without overprint. Listed in 2021 Scott #53 used $125 #54 used $175 with overprint. A good laugh I heard recently is that the Scott overprint pricing is for fakes.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the Scott number without overprint?

Scott has no idea of the value of early Mongolia stamps. Did they ever establish values for 74A-J? I have A, D, F, G, H, J. Paid $25 apiece IIRC from a dealer in New Jersey 3-4 years ago. They have been sold at auction a few times for about the same price more or less.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4467 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unlisted in Scott without overprint.

Scott 74A-J unpriced except Scott 74C unused $900 used $120 and Scott 74D unused $125. Counterfeits abound!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5448 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   8:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WAIT A MINUTE -----Who says "Scott has no idea about early Mongolia " yea !!!! Because very very few had a interest in Mongolia . Looking at the Asian expert {Michael Rogers } his 6 stamp auctions catalogs that I have ,doesn't show any Mongolia lots . Surprise Surprise !!!

Let's go back to last year Kelleher Stamp Auction in 2020 had Mongolia exploded in everybody's face even the auction firm was caught by surprise .

Now we got new experts on Mongolia and Scott Catalog does not know values of early Mongolia . I even checked my Greg Manning catalogs from the 1990's and guess what, not a Mongolia lot to be found .

So who knows Mongolia stamps ???? I have to believe it is Michael Rogers and he found it not worth listing in his auction catalogs ,Oh! wait a minute Mike is at Kelleher now and as mention above ,that firm was caught by surprise .

My guess is your going to find more Mongolia stamp collectors in Russia than the rest of the world combine .
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I put together my first Mongolian collection in the late 90's. Material was scarce but I managed a pretty decent early collection that I sold for a song in 2007. Prices were all over the place then too--I think I picked up a counterfeit set of overprints for about $10 and and one of the $1 overprints with a certificate for $150--SCV $450. 32-44 (the ying yangs) SCV were about $1 each--I think I found 4 total for sale. This was in the 90's when there were still a half dozen stamp stores in the Boston area plus a show every weekend. eBay had about 3000 listings for Mongolian stamps I swear I looked at every one of them. Lots of CTOs, silver and gold foils from 1995, and lots of topicals.

China probably has a few collectors of Mongolia too, there are more Mongolian people living in China than in Mongolia. I believe last year's Mongolia explosion was most likely fueled by China.

I'm always looking to increase my Mongolia holdings. Earlier in the thread I mentioned Dr Orth as someone whose certificate I would trust. There are very few certificates out there and I would trust the old ones over any more recent ones. There are some great articles in the Journal of Chinese Philately around. I used to have a folder of articles but I think when I sold off the collection I must have included them because I can't find them. Stamp forgeries has a basic primer on the overprints.

Earlier in the thread Randy pointed out that Kelleher (I think it's Kelleher) has some material in their next sale and the overprints are fakes.

I got my 74s from Ross Wiessman. He reported getting them from a Mongolian dealer who came to the US selling stamps. I think it's from the same holding as one that wa auctioned off a few years ago--I want to say at Siegel but I can't remember for sure. I'll see if I can find it online.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 86 / Views: 1,926Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05