Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Anomaly On Mongolian Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 2,150Next Topic
Page: of 6
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5514 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe most Mongolian's over 40 years old speak Russian as a second language , the two hitchikers I picked up on the expressway in Chicago {they ran out of gas ,took them for gas and then drove them back } . We talked and I understood their Russian .
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6770 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Randy - I was looking for Mongolia at Siegel and found your newly purchased 82! Lot 361, Sale 1220, May 21 2020:

https://siegelauctions.com/lot_grd....mitPrev=Prev
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I lived in Mongolia for 3 years and yep, everyone who was in school up until 1990 speaks Russian. I was part of a large retraining effort to retrain Russian language teachers to English language teachers. Great people, beautiful country, and some pretty interesting stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 07/24/2021   10:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Great you found the two used stamps. I tried many times on Segel but only found the other used stamp. With the inane feeding frenzy that just went on with Mongolia blocks of four from one dealer on eBay and the $5000 mint stamp in Europe I thought this used stamp would go for much higher. A $3000 catalog value. Mongolia is all over the place with an occasional spike up delivered by irrational exuberance by 2-3 different buyers jumping in and out. I was prepared to go much higher and lucked out.

I thought of collecting Mongolia many times but always halted because of the overwhelming number of fakes and forgeries. I jumped in this time thinking a reputable Russian dealer had the straight goods. They were fakes but my learning curve was swift and I was able to obtain the good and return the bad. After a brief rough start I am hooked.

Yes many of the auction houses are selling collections with mostly fakes. Not all some are very diligent. eBay all fakes so far and there are a plethora of them.

One expert is Paul Buchsbayew of Cherrystone Auctions but he no longer will expertise stamps. Unfortunate because I know of no other expertiser. Paul told me in all the years he has been auctioning Mongolia stamps and collections he has never had one pass through his house.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   06:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I found this stamp on eBay with an Lissiuk expertizing mark. I checked the mark against his known mark and I am still not sure. The mark is a different color than the example I have but I don't know if that is a problem. It looks pretty good. There are known forgeries of his expertizing mark. I think there are a lot of Mongolian stamps "out there" as Mongolia was collected in Russia and Eastern Europe, so it's a matter of finding them. Here's a photo of the stamp front and back. The "Postage" overprint is on the right side to be real . . .Thoughts?

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   09:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Studied this stamp and this seller for a long time when first starting out. I went from I want this stamp to I would not touch it. This is the best possibility of all his stamps save one which was definitely genuine and priced to the moon. It has a Roumet cert. but is no longer listed. His other stamps are fakes. I do not like the top of the "T" and uncertain about the S,G and E. The expert mark has similar "s" but they are reversed from the ones pictured in Stamp Expert Marks. Black lettering is the toughest because it smears and is often blurry. Putting all of this together plus the fact the seller has not been able to sell this and his other stamps for a long, long while I would pass. I always thought the "preferred" way is for "postage" to be on the right side reading down except when it is on the opposite side reading up and that it really does not matter at all as it seems to have been placed on right side and "inverted" as Scott states and doubled too.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   5:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Under "postage" is the the word "Mongol" and I don't really like that either. I have been comparing them with the stamps on stampforgeries.com and I tend to agree. It doesn't look like enough like the geniune handstamp or the expertizing mark. I want to like it, but the more I look at it I don't.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 07/27/2021   8:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Until you pointed out Mongol I was at ground zero with that writing. Rechecked my several black overprints and feel even better about them. The overprint on the stamp you show stinks. Thank you. Another important factor in the hunt for a genuine specimen. More fun now.
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   6:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Randy,

Hipstamp has a $1 red overprint with certificate. Have you seen it? Nice looking stamp, a little rich for me right now, but would love to own it.

https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/mo...h-r/28481757

The certs are out there.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   6:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes that is the stamp I mentioned being a good legit certified example but quite pricy. I will have another look and consider if I might make an offer or if too much even for my desires. Thanks for the reminder.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   7:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I used to see stamps like this one selling for catalogue price plus the house fee. I have not seen one selling in quite a long time. Anyone know of a selling price in recent history? Hoping for a more insight before making an offer.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/18/2021 11:12 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 08/17/2021   8:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Violet or red overprint? I am thinking violet but still trying to confirm that Michel #14a is violet or red? Same with Yv #14 violet or red?

Enlightenment needed about "nur 50 uberdruct" and "MH R" Mint Hinge Remnant but where is the remnant? I will ask seller for a better translation.

Edit: Translation: about 50 known overprinted; Mint Hinged Rare.

Seller still not clear on violet/red. I have asked another seller about this catalogue/color situation.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/18/2021 05:02 am
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   06:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not sure either, could be either. I don't have a Yvert catalogue which would clear it up. It does look violet but you can't trust scans. Nice looking stamps, that price in pounds is a bit rich for me, although I certainly spend that in a year on stamps (or more), just not sure I'm ready to blow the year's stamp budget on 1 stamp. It would probably be the best thing I could do since I have way too much unsorted that would keep me busy.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   10:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
He replied that Yv #14 is violet in his 2005 Yvert with a catalogue value of 1200 euros or $1400. Scott is and has been at $550. I am not going to make an offer and will wait for more recent results and another venue.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/18/2021 11:09 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4479 Posts
Posted 08/18/2021   11:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just had another seller contradict and says Michel #14a is red which I question. I cannot go with pricing based on 2005 Yvert which I am not familiar with especially that long ago.
Page: of 6 Previous TopicReplies: 89 / Views: 2,150Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05