Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Perforation Anomaly On Mongolian Stamp

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 2,200Next Topic
Page: of 7
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   05:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tempting?

Let's be careful out there. Forgery

Start bid $18 or BIN at $100. One buyer paid the $100

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/26/2021 06:17 am
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   08:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for that--I had not even realized these stamps were forged. The first clue of course is $100 buy it now . . . I saved it and am going to take a look at it vs the genuine stamp.

Jackie
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   11:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
More forgeries on eBay sold for $610

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   11:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Better scan

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393404195518

***Mod added listing screen capture for archival purposes***
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   8:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Is there a guide to what identifies these as forgeries? I've seen the guides for the Overprints but never this series.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   8:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No guide. Made these discoveries myself with close examination and then confirmed in my mind only when I finally had a genuine example for comparison.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   8:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What overprint guides have you seen besides those on Stamp Forgeries of the World?
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/26/2021 8:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6780 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   9:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Randy - Would it be possible to point out some of the "tells" that point to the stamps being forgeries?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   10:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gave up on small details such as the horses saddle or faces detail or dog and the like when I realized I was comparing forgeries. Then I saw a genuine and they simply pop. Clarity in engraving vs muddled. Green and white sharpness vs blended and thick appearing. The design (burelage) throughout the stamp especially along the edges should jump out very sharpe. For me, for the moment, with my 15 minutes of undocumented expertise I take one good focused look and go wow or dud. Great scans would tell all but the scans of the forgeries so far have been terrible.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/26/2021 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   10:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Another forgery. The details should sear into your 3d eyes. This is flat and dull.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203510358311

Cannot find the scan now but when you see a genuine copy of this stamp the detail is amazing. The horizontal lines on the camels pack are sharpe and distinct. The mountains show dimension.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/26/2021 11:12 pm
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   01:36 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I used to have the Journal of Chinese Philately article referenced in Stamp Forgeries and it was very helpful. Sold it in the lot when I sold off my original collection. I have a copy of the stamp above. It looks sharper than the scanned one above but I'm not sure now if it's fake. I will see if I can get a scan up. I bought it from a dealer in China so who knows? I didn't overpay for it so I wouldn't be crushed if it's a forgery.

Heinrich Koehler Auctions just listed a huge Mongolia lot on SAN. No photos, would love to see the stamps and certificates. Here's the English translation:

1924/2021, very extensive mainly mint never hinged, initially also a little unused collection, in the main numbers almost complete with many special features, neatly collected in seven Palo albums (with slipcase), a total of over 1000 issues with over 4,000 stamps, approx. 450 souvenir sheets and numerous miniature sheets. Only two single stamps 20 and 40M from 1954 and the temporary fixtures not listed in the Michel catalog (1941) are missing. All regular early issues are available, including the 1926 POSTAGE "hand stamp overprints in purple and black, the very rare issues from 1943 (with 60 mung), 1951 (30th anniversary of the revolution), 1953 (Tschoibalsan), the blocks 1- 6, all early cut blocks, overprints and overprints, airmail issues, Olympia block (1976), 12 silk blocks for the football World Cup (1982) with and without overprint, gold and silver stamps (1993, 1997 and 1999), foil sheets, all Genghis Khan / Secret history of the Mongols editions (1962-2020), animal calendar, countless editions on fauna and flora of Mongolia etc., in addition to an extensive collection of large and semi-circular sheets (28) 1970-2020, as well as EXPO'70, art and customs, animal calendar, indigenous fauna and flora, Mongolian saiga, Przewalski's horse, Genghis Khan, human history, sacred mountains, calligraphy, historical saddles, ancient means of transport, anniversaries of the end of WW-2, Olympics Atlanta. 1996, national costumes and others as well as miniature sheets (136), good condition, some early issues competently signed or with findings / certificate with photograph
Valued Member
United States
96 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   01:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add paulsonja to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's an interesting article that slightly addresses forgeries:

https://www.bsrp.org/wp-content/upl...107_2017.pdf
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   08:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very helpful and interesting article. Helps explain one of my earliest purchases from Ed Younger stamps Scott 16b. Advertised as "absolutely genuine." I had my doubts about the red overprints even this early but took a chance. Had to start sometime. The overprint looked pretty good but the "T" was not right but never having seen a "red" I was not certain. Also the blue color was very faded but hey that could happen. After reading the article I now know that the stamp and the overprint are both forgeries. I am not interested in collecting forgeries so I will continue to be patient and wait until Mongolia becomes tropical before I will purchase more suspected items. Will keep this one stamp for amusement.
edit: upon reflection the cancellation is possibly forged and likely back dated. Just needs a forged expert mark.
Edited by redwoodrandy - 08/27/2021 8:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 08/27/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4481 Posts
Posted 09/13/2021   12:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jackie I have been trying to find a reference I have lost showing forged Mongolian stamps and listing the forgers such as Chtabinski and maybe Refky and one other. I looked at the last 30 or so Cherrystone auctions but no luck. Maybe Interasia I just cannot remember. The forgeries were so bad once I got them in my head I was careless about keeping it. Would once again like for reference
Edited by redwoodrandy - 09/13/2021 10:58 am
Page: of 7 Previous TopicReplies: 93 / Views: 2,200Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05