Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Storing A Stamp Collection

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 746Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member

United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been doing some serious thinkering about how to store/present my World collection where I have maybe 20 or so stamps per country where it is not worth printing out a whole stamp album for the country, I am currently sticking them in those dealer cards and glassines and labeling the contents (Date, catalog # etc). If I want to more thoroughly collect the country, I think I'll go for an album. So I can just quick flip through a box to see my stuff.
How do people store collections of say under 100 stamps per country?
Stockpages?
Send note to Staff
Edited by JoeTheLucky - 06/02/2021 6:14 pm

Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   5:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
On April 30 you said:

Quote:
I am looking into getting a us commemorative stamp album. Does anyone know of any printable ones (preferable free)? If there are not any available which I'm sure there are but I can't find em, I'll make 'em.

So why are you asking "what y'all do?" You make me tired, Joe.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   6:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am talking about world stamps in this case, I could not find anything relating in the search, I will edit the original message to be much more clear so Im not seen as a drag.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6252 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   6:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stallzer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stockbooks
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1486 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
You make me tired, Joe.

And that, Virginia, is why I no longer ask anything in this forum. What is the big deal with the question, anyway? Find it tiresome? Scroll past without doing anything! Sheesh.

Stock pages, stock books, and Vario pages all work.
Valued Member
United States
302 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stockbooks for countries I have relatively few stamps from. Vario pages if I have a larger collection.

Plus a Scott "Specialty" for Austria.

Dale
Valued Member
United States
193 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   9:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Now THAT is a (revised) question worth answering. I second (third?) using a Vario binder and pages. Certainly the sturdiest, and most flexible option. Start with two countries on a page (about $1/page), and it'd be easy to expand if you find a few countries you really favor, or reorder as you see fit.
Edited by classic_paper - 06/02/2021 9:16 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6387 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I like stock pages as well because you can readily see the material without digging it out. I have fallen victim to the "out of sight, out of mind" trap where I had material that just disappeared to me because it was in a card within a red box and forgotten about. Sometimes seeing something can bring inspiration especially if a recent topic brought more depth to it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
859 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gettinold to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
JoeTheLucky

Vario pages in binders works fine for me. I find 1/2 inch and 1 inch binders more manageable.
Valued Member
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   9:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JoeTheLucky to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fine, Case closed, I guess I'll make use of my 8 slot varios, I regret not getting a larger size because alot of the Worldwide Commems pop out.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1953 Posts
Posted 06/02/2021   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For stamps that came to me in small packages(eg glassines) I transfer them into 102 cards for uniformity. The 102 cards are filed alphabetically in 11 red boxes. Stamps that came to me in large stock cards or pages are left intact and filed alphabetically in appropriately sized containers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
662 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   12:13 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I regret not getting a larger size

It is good to have a range of sizes available. Just as soon as you get 6-pocket for those pesky large commemorates, you'll get a small souvenir sheet, then a large one.
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   03:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm a quick and dirty kinda guy, so my stamps are in archival-grade 3-pocket 8.5x11" "flips" set into basic presentation folders with different-colored removable spines so I know which part of my collection is which. I get them at the grocery store Office Supply section for cheap. I also have to scissor off the holed album nubs of the flips so the sheets fit in my small fire safe, but there ya go.

But within each pocket, my stamp/s are in a Safeco 5.75x3.25" holder, tucked within a glassine because I live in the tropics and every little bit to stave off the humidity helps, even tho the glassines might be considered overkill in most places where it's not 85 degrees surrounded by an ocean every single day.

So yeah, storage is an issue here.
Edited by STTScott - 06/03/2021 03:25 am
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
206 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   04:31 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add johnsim03 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is a philatelic quandary best resolved early in your collecting history!

I absolutely love the look of printed pages with mounts. Thing is, I dislike mounts of any kind. Hinges are substandard nowadays - unless you spring for vintage DENNISON or FOLD-O-HINGE (@ $12-$20 per 1000). Black backed mounts take extra care, clear mounts are easier to work with. Both of which make no sense for cheaper stamps... Unless you get your mounts with rewards points or something - they are expensive...

After much thought and study, I decided to go with black, double-sided Vario stock pages (default for me is the 6 strip).
I use Vario-F 3-ring binders for countries I have a special interest in, and Vario-G 3-ring binders for worldwide.
Layout can be a problem. For "near complete" countries I use a chronological approach, side-by-side. It saves space and
is easy to follow in the catalog. Anything specialized gets a small info tag next to it. For general worldwide I use
a "layout by Steiner page approach". I have a complete set of PDF Steiner pages, and use it as a guide. A tag with the
Steiner page number is in a lower corner. That makes it easy to refer to the Steiner PDF file for identification and
description. Not the best approach, but it works for me. Vario pages purchased in quantity are cheaper than printed
pages with mounts and decent hinges.

This quandary is a personal one, and subjective. I don't want to be concerned with substandard materials (paper or other
products which may harm the stamps and covers), and don't want to use mounts or hinges.

Now, I have to get back to converting my printed albums to Vario stock pages.

John

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   06:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For countries I actively collect, I use Steiner pages and print on demand. I have some countries with juts 1 or 2 pages. Everything else goes on Vario/Hagner pages. I have tried dealer cards and glassines but not as easy to browse quickly (one at a time vs multiple at a time).
Al
Valued Member
78 Posts
Posted 06/03/2021   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add STTScott to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@angore: You're likely correct. As I said in an earlier post, I use Safeco (dealer) cards inside a glassine, which makes review less than ideal. But I live in a tropical environment where humidity is a major issue, so I just kinda live with it :)
Edited by STTScott - 06/03/2021 09:40 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 16 / Views: 746Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05