Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ultramarine And The APS Stamp Store

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 429Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add rustyc to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
A couple of days ago, I was browsing revenues at the APS Stamp Store and saw the accompanying listing, which purports to be a pair of R63e. The price was minimal, but it seemed clear to me that this was not an ultramarine revenue. Therefore, I sent a note that I thought the stamps were misidentified.

This was the response I got: "We have a complete collection of early revenue stamps in the Reference Collection. This is a very different shade from all of the other blues, so we're going to let it stand."

Am I crazy to believe that this is not an R63e pair?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
5 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   5:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Taxpaid Revenuer to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You are correct, it is not the ultramarine shade.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
601 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add SPQR to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is always dangerous to determine color from a scan, but it doesn't even look close to being ultramarine to me. If I were feeling malicious, I'd buy the stamp for $2.75 and put it on extension. When it comes back as R63c the seller would get hit with the cost of the cert. Of course with my luck the APS would give it a cert as ultra.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7478 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   5:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not ultramarine. There are several blue shades on first issues; Not being one that matches the reference collection means nothing relative to being an ultramarine.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   6:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'd buy the stamp for $2.75 and put it on extension.

I was going to do that but the Stamp Store doesn't give that option for stamps that cost less than $30. And by the way to everyone, I know they're not ultramarine. I thought maybe some APS member would log on to the Store and voice an opinion.

Edited by rustyc - 06/05/2021 6:54 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
729 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I will be glad to log in and voice that opinion. Given that I am one of the expertiser's for APEX, maybe my opinion will count for something.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 06/06/2021 08:09 am
Valued Member
United States
148 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   8:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What number is it?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
847 Posts
Posted 06/05/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rustyc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Ron. I got an email that you had also challenged the stamp and they immediately took it down.

I have reported a number of listing errors over the years, all of which (including this one) were obvious. I didn't have any particular purpose other than to help make sure the APS listings were accurate. Sometimes it has been a misidentification of the stamp, sometimes a grossly inaccurate catalog value, whatever. They've always been easily verifiable errors. This is the first time I ever got any pushback and, frankly, I was stunned, which led me to post here and make a big deal out of a $3 listing.
Pillar Of The Community
547 Posts
Posted 06/06/2021   11:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just in general, it is perhaps a bit poor judgement to form an opinion based on, "well it isn't X, Y, or Z so it must be W".

Good catch!
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 429Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05