Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Stanley Gibbons Buys British Guiana 1c Magenta

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 2,245Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
381 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   09:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would have bought the British Guiana 1c Magenta, but didn't want to seem too flashy and put on airs.

GeoffHa; as an official representative of the Grumpy Old Men League, our official statement is: We don't care if anyone's tested our marketability... We tested it and passes.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5443 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   09:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting concept but it could be a financial minefield .

There was a story written in Linn's Stamp News a few years ago maybe 20 years ago . The article was about investing in classic stamps . The author knew about investments and he stated that it would take 200 million dollars to control this market . So I am guessing today it would be like 300 million dollars . Understand controlling is not owning everything ,all that needs is 10 to 20% to control it . Maybe 5% to influence it .

With the vast expand of Money Funds thru out the world ,the above mentioned 300 million dollars is a drop in the bucket Then you add into this buying all the small investors and you can have a "Dutch tulip " situation .

We seen a small example of this with the Europa stamps and Asfina of Spain ,that was a small example of what could happen ,they were getting money faster than they could buy stamps to fill their buyers needs .
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   10:45 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with everything you wrote floor trader.
The really interesting thought is can you make the jump from sellin to "knowledgeable " collectors to the general investor public. That would be money. I am sure S.G. has already determined their strategy.
Interesting to see how it works out. If this is successful I am sure you will see other consortiums put together.
My own opinion is that stamps are too esoteric, but then again the rise in NFT's was not intuitive to me.
Interesting, M
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
550 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   11:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Updating this thread with some info and a very brief survey received from Stanley Gibbons by email this morning. Summary items below:

Body of email:

We are building something special with the goal of making this iconic piece of history available to everybody. With your help, we want to make sure the experience is as amazing as possible.

Therefore, our initial offering of pieces of the 1c Magenta will be limited in number and only available to a select audience, who we hope will help us develop this experience further.

The huge amount of excitement, comments and opinions we have received so far have been extremely insightful and we want to build on this by giving those who have registered their interest the opportunity to shape it further still.

As part of this, you will have early access to the offering itself prior to it being made available to everybody.

Our intention is that this first phase will take place within the next few months, with subsequent offerings following on thereafter.

If you are interested in further influencing what comes next, and having the opportunity to acquire part of the world's most famous stamp in this preliminary offering, please complete the following very short survey:

Survey:

The ONE CENT Magenta

We are looking to gauge interest in ownership of the ONE CENT Magenta prior to our limited launch later this year. Those who purchase their piece of the world's most valuable stamp will receive:

Full legal and economic ownership of the stamp
Voting rights to decide on the future of the stamp
Secure, fully insured custody of the stamp provided by Stanley Gibbons
A lifetime guarantee of authenticity provided by Stanley Gibbons
Further benefits of ownership yet to be announced

At launch, each piece of the ONE CENT Magenta costs 400. The stamp will be split into 20,000 pieces.

1. How many pieces of the ONE CENT Magenta would you consider purchasing? Please enter using numerical digits e.g. 12 and NOT twelve.

2. We are considering entering all future owners of the ONE CENT Magenta into a sweepstake for the chance to win the opportunity to sign their own name on the back of the stamp. How do you feel about the possibility of having your name permanently placed upon the world's most famous stamp?

Extremely excited
Very excited
Not so excited
Indifferent
Unhappy
Disgusted

3. Thank you for answering. Please note that the detail within the survey varies between participants and is not necessarily reflective of the structure or price which will be used. We very much look forward to sharing more with you shortly. Please leave any further comments below:
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4466 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   11:28 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sold for $8.3 million now valued at $11 million.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
550 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   1:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Oracle of Delphi to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Maybe they hope that U.S. "investors" will confuse pounds with dollars. It's also a bit curious that they state that the detail within the survey varies among participants.
Valued Member
United States
197 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Extremely interesting. Aren't you "lucky" to be able to get in early.
In my opinion they have the right idea, I don't know if the execution is optimal. I'm sure they know more about their business than I do. In the country there is a great idiom "I'll mind my book, you mind yours"
m

Edit for punctuation
Edited by GMC89 - 08/26/2021 2:20 pm
Pillar Of The Community
559 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   4:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The wording of question 2 is a bit poor. Perhaps, "How do you feel about the likelihood someone other than you will get to sign their (likely) non-famous name on the back of a stamp you partially own, adding risk that it will sell for lower than we paid, thus leading to potential financial loss to you". But OK...
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1506 Posts
Posted 08/26/2021   7:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I received it and answered it, if only because it would be cool to have a member of this community who owns a few pieces.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 54 / Views: 2,245Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05