Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Iceland Skilling Issue - Underinking Or Fugitive Ink?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 328Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add backroads to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
This Early 4 Skilling Stamp poses a few questions for me. Is it common in this issue to have plates that were severely underinked or dry during the printing process? Or are the faded corners due to a fugitive ink being used that has disappeared either during its removal from paper or due to exposure to light? The cancellation is quite consistent though, unfortunately, I cannot make out the town name.

Any opinions out there?
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
France, Metropolitan
3096 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   4:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add perf12 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel is either SVEINSTADIR or EGILSTADIR.
4 sk.rose usage: 30.11.72 to 07.05.73 (80000 stamps printed).
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by perf12 - 06/08/2021 4:35 pm
Pillar Of The Community
3591 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The cancel is also somewhat lighter in the upper left and lower right corners. It would be interesting to examine this both in fluid and under UV light.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   5:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the possible Post office names. As to Ultraviolet, there is nothing shown under either long or short wave length, so I do not think chemical changes are involved. I am not going to use liquid immersion with water or a solvent due to worries about further damage if it is actual damage that we are seeing here.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   6:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
my immediate response would be damage via hot water soaking,
the Postmark, and it's lacking pigment, aids that find.
Light damage, I would expect more consistant fading overall,
Your bottom right, has almost disappeared.

If that were as coming off the press, it would have been rejected.

In 2014 I was bidding on a used Scott #1 (CV $9000) I was out bid 2 days
before hammer fall.
As yours, the Pmk was a bit faded looking, and the green, I would not consider "deep"
The ink used (If green is any indication) is pale, and a bit "washed out" appearance) but certainly not as pronounced as your example.

Edited by rod222 - 06/08/2021 6:33 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would lean in that direction as well but thought I would ask just to see if there was something about the ink that could lend itself to that kind of damage. It was a nice find, in any case, since it was a part of a lot and is otherwise a sound copy. Water fading does tend to be a little more uniform.

I did recall an older collector, family member, way back when I was just staring this hobby, advising me that the proper way to get stamps off paper was to hold them over the spout of a steaming kettle until the glue loosened. Now that could certainly account for some pretty spectacular effects!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32191 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
hold them over the spout of a steaming kettle until the glue loosened.

Yes, been there, tried them all
The kettle trick was a disaster.

Just found a new trick with Canadian on Brown/orange Manila.

Cut around the stamp, leave about 20mm or best available, place face down in cold water in a flat plate/ dish.
10-15 minutes, lift off the stamp without any staining.

The trick is to try and float the fragment, not immerse it,
the hypothesis is the stamp and mucialage disengage prior to the
manila paper becoming soaked releasing the stain.

Have soaked Dianne's A4 covers with great success.

May have to be rinsed lightly in another cold water bowl,
sometimes the snotty water soluble mucilage hangs on in strands.

Edited by rod222 - 06/08/2021 11:35 pm
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   03:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The ink on these stamps, as well as all Danish bicolored, is a waterproof ink, it won't fade if soaked, even in hot water or steam. and you can easily leave stamps soaked in water over night.

the town cancel is ANT. Sveinstadir as Rob mentioned, the "skilling issue from Iceland were sold off later, and cancelled with the LAP Reykjavik cancel, these hold a much lower value.

The stamp is faded and defective due to either exposure to chemicals or extremely long exposure to sunlight (stamp could have been partly covered by something, leaving only the corner out in the sun, but we're talking years in this state)
the stamp sheets were printed, and dried separately on huuuuuuge shelves, so it's NOT due to separation before the ink was dry.

the gum dissolves quickly and easily in water, if it doesn't the stamp has been re-gummed, this is true for all Icelandic stamps from start to the introduction of self-adhesive stamps.

here's a Danish stamp that has been exposed to some kind of bleach or other chemical, I would imagine your stamps falls in this category. The red ink reacts faster/better with the chemicals than the ink in the cancel and the grey frame.

Edited by Sorsh - 06/11/2021 01:21 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   2:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorsh - Some very interesting and useful information there. Thank you. I can just picture someone with a batch of older unsorted material thinking, "These are awfully grotty looking. I should try putting just a few drops of bleach in the water to see if it will brighten them up."

I have attached a picture of another from this issue. I wondered if this is the remainder cancellation from Reykjavik that you were referring to.
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   01:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
no, that's also an ANT cancel, Reykjavik, used properly, but the perforation has been repaired.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
782 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   12:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add backroads to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Again, Thank you for the information. I assume the perforation repair refers to the closed tear in the lower left corner. Congratulations for noticing that from a not too great scan.

The stamp hides more sins than just that with a definite thin an the back as well. collecting on a strictly limited budget seems to mean that, when you stumble across a high catalogue stamp in a lot or in an old collection, it will most often come with problems of some sort.

Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There's both repairs in the top and the bottom.. for one it's normal to see line perforated stamps repaired as this kind of perforation is somewhat primitive and leave a rough impression that many find distasteful, and thus tend to be repaired to look better. In some countries this is acceptable, but actually ruins a sound stamp.

the other reason is as you mention, that expensive faulty stamps tends to get repairs to improve the visual appearance in order to find a space in collections or make a collection more desirable. Both quite distasteful in my book.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
588 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Look at the perforation holes across the top and compare their position to the inked design. Especially the third perf from the left (very close to design) and the first couple of perfs from the right (quite far away from the design. It's a sure fire sign of a reperf job gone awry.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   8:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Excuse my ignorance, but what is an ANT. cancel?
Valued Member
455 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Sorsh to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@EMaxim

ANT = Antigua LAP = Lapidar NUM = Numeral, which are the cancels commonly used in Iceland and Denmark in this era.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
655 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, Sorsh. I'll save that info. And what a great resource this forum is.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 328Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05