Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

United States Post Office Label Form B - On Cover

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 292Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Linus to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From my postal history collection, I will share with the club a registered cover mailed from Firenze, Italy on 28 January 1911 to Des Moines, Iowa, USA passing through Chicago, Illinois on 9 February 1911 with United States Post Office Label - Form "B" attached to the front, titled "SUPPOSED LIABLE TO CUSTOMS DUTY." The cover arrived in Des Moines 10 February 1911

I searched the Stampsmarter "United States Post Office Forms Database" for Form B and found it listed, but without image. Don D, you are free to use my images below for Stampsmarter if you like, as well as anyone else who can use them. Stampsmarter listed the EKU (earliest known use) as "1912 DLS." I believe this label would have been applied in Chicago on 9 February 1911 on my cover.

Other notes:

The label measures 39mm in width at the top, and is 71 mm tall.

Using my Linn's Multi- Gauge, the label is Perf 12 on the left edge.

The letter "L" is omitted in the word "located" so it reads "ocated." The letter was not scuffed off, it was simply not printed at all.

Linus

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   5:48 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The letter "L" is omitted in the word "located" so it reads "ocated." The letter was not scuffed off, it was simply not printed at all.

With the visible damage to the letter "o" as well, it appears the type was damaged after proofing but before the end of the printing run.

There should be examples with the "l" and undamaged "o" in collector's hands.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Learn More...
9502 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Linus,
Thank you very much. The Stamp Smarter USPS Forms Community project has been updated with your images and new EKU. I also credited you for them (if this is not ok please let me know.)
https://stampsmarter.org/features/N..._ViewDB.html
Don
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
451 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mml1942 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is a copy with the same Customs Label, Great Britain to Harris, California. Mailed Aug 26, 1911, Arrived San Francisco Sept 7.

The "lo" in locate are undamaged.

Cover front...

Cover reverse...

It is likely that these forms were printed in panes and sheets, and one of 10 or 50 or 100 was damaged. The others were normal.

Mike

Edited by mml1942 - 06/09/2021 08:11 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don,

Now you have both types, damaged and not. Both belong together.
Valued Member
United States
488 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   07:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hoosierboy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Linus and mmf1942 and all,

Thanks for the contribution to the Forms data base. We still have many forms listed missing examples. Any examples of these greatly appreciated, too. Send to Don or me and they will be added to the database with thanks. Russ
Valued Member
United States
382 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   07:59 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Linus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Glad to help out, in a small way, to the great Stampsmarter knowledge base. I will see what else I can find around here.

I got new carpet in my stamp room, and I had to empty out my closet. The "new-carpet" smell was keeping me out of there, but that has dissipated now, and I am moving boxes of covers back in. I am finding a lot of good stuff, to put into my albums. I got my first cutting of hay done, and I work in the garden in the morning and evening, but in the heat of the afternoon, it's "Stamp Time."

Linus
Learn More...
9502 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   9:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Mike's form has also been added.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 292Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05