Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Printed Perfs And Image On Reverse Of Large Bank Note Stamps

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 448Next Topic  
Valued Member

19 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Einn to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have some Large Bank Note stamps in both hard and soft papers with images on the back which are surrounded by perforations that are printed on the paper.

I have many kinds of papers, perhaps 15-20 different kinds between the years 1870-1883, but these are the most distinctive because of the images on the Reverse.

1.) Are these the Sp. Pr. stamps from '75 and '80? Or;

2.) are the stamps that look like they're printed on satin paper that look like fingerprints or paisley on the backs the Sp. Pr. stamps?

3.) Does anyone know the thickness of the '75 or '80 Sp. Pr. stamps? i.e. 58-64mm on the unprinted edge?

4.) What's the color look like under UV light compared to the regular stamps? '75 is Bright white with some random pink streaks running through them? Or, a very light, pale violet? Translucent?

5.) Is the paper of the '75 Sp. Pr. stamps of the '73 series different paper than the Sp. Pr. of the earlier series?

6.) Is the sound from flicking the '75 Sp. Pr. stamps very high pitch and sound as if they are so crisp that they are reverberating? Is the highest pitch, most reverberation, when compared to other stamps, the Sp. Pr. stamps?

Any assistance which could be provided by those members who are knowledge and have first hand experience with the Sp. Pr. Of '75 and '80 would be greatly appreciated.
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   10:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Images?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Einn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello. Yes, I have images. However, I must admit that I'm somewhat hesitant to post them since it seems apparent that images of the Reverse of the '75 and '80 Sp. Pr. have been kept secret for nearly 150 years. In not saying that I won't post them, only that I don't want to do so in a flippant manner without giving the matter substantial consideration.
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Einn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic seems to be taboo. Other forum posts over the years regarding their identification have been quite sparse on the specifics.
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/08/2021   11:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Einn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
By Image, I don't mean the images that are woven into the papers, such as family scenes, boats/sailors, signing of the declaration of independence or a woman lounging below a tree. Instead, images In speaking of are highly detailed, printed images which appear to be affixed to the backs of the stamps and showing perforations that aren't cut into the paper of the stamps, but are instead printed.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
522 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   04:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there really "important" secrets in philately? Will one of your stamps open the treasure vault in the basement of Trinity Church? I have my ocular device ready.

Edited by rismoney - 06/09/2021 11:28 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6252 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
299 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StatesmanStamper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Please post images of the backs of the stamps. Otherwise this sounds like something I'd see discussed on one of those History channel "documentaries" about templars.

Dale
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1499 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   09:01 am  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds like you are seeing transfers of the illustrations from an old album that are now on the back of your stamps.

Pillar Of The Community
3591 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   09:14 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To be blunt, without images, this thread is a complete waste of time for the Community and deserves no more wasting of our time and speculation.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5747 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   11:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If the effort is to confuse, it is quite successful, IMO.

Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Einn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@ KRelyea, Thank you for your reply. I had considered your suggested explanation, however the images are adhered to the backs. Some of the stamps have sections of the adhered images which have peeled off.
Valued Member
19 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   1:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Einn to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are 6 questions listed regarding thickness, color under UV, satin paper, etc. Are there any members who have knowledge in this area which are willing to share their expertise?
Learn More...
9375 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   2:35 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
6 questions and no good reason(s) for not posting an image. Thread closed.
Don
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 448Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05