Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Seeking Information On 1930s German Fund-Raising Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 240Next Topic  
Valued Member

Australia
22 Posts
Posted 06/09/2021   11:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Toevah to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I was very kindly given this stamp by someone for my German collection. I know about the organisation that issued it, the Reichsbund Judischer Fronstsoldaten, but I'd be interested to know about the stamp itself. Firstly, IS it a stamp, or a Cinderella? The text "Gedenkt der Judischen Kriegsopfer" means "in commemoration of Jewish war victims" - was this stamp issued for a particular event, or was it a general commemoration? Is there any other information on this stamp?

Any information on this would be really appreciated!
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
700 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   03:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not a stamp and not really a cinderella.

I would call it a fundraising stamp.

It was intended to raise funds to support Jewish soldiers that had fought in the First World War.

They existed untill 1938, then the organisation was forbidden by the Nazis.

By design this one looks one from the early twenties
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   03:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I wasn't sure of the date of the stamp - the organisation was formed in 1919, so it is most probable really that it's from the 1920s, but I tend to err on the side of assuming stamps are more recent.

Could you explain why the design is a 1920s design though?
Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   03:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Also, the organisation was forbidden by the Nazis in 1936, but they didn't cease to exist until 1938.
Pillar Of The Community
Netherlands
700 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   04:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Johan Buvelot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
reasons for the design to be early twenties.

1) the curles left and right of the word Kriegs- are typical late art nouveau style, used in the period just after WW1, leading up to Art Deco which is lineair. In the thirties these kind of design of curls would typically not be used.

2)A bit more unsure on this but the stamps says 10pf > 10 pfennig. From 1924 till 1948 Reichsmark was used in Germany and that meant in generall rpf Reichspfenning was used. this is a clue that it is before 1924. Because it is only 10 pf we can also rule out the hyperinflation period. halfway 1922 until late 1923.

leaves the early twenties, very late teens.

Not taking into account that sometimes organizations used an old design for a lot of years.
Valued Member
Australia
22 Posts
Posted 06/10/2021   04:30 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Toevah to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice one - thanks!
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
4596 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   11:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Bujutsu to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting item. I have to say tough that I was always under the impression that a 'label' that resembled a stamp but was not issued by any government entity was considered a 'cinderella'? Could I have some feedback here. Thanks all

Chimo

Bujutsu
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   9:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EMaxim to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see why Buvelot is uncomfortable with the term. I rather share that feeling. Nevertheless, Stanley Gibbons, Philatelic Terms, says that a Cinderella is "virtually anything resembling a postage stamp, but not issued for postal purposes by a government postal administration." Scott agrees, calling it "a catch-all term ... to describe phantoms, fantasies, bogus items, municipal issues, exhibition seals, local revenues, transportation stamps, labels, poster stamps and many other types of items." Williams, Fundamentals of Philately, says "The bounds of Cinderellas have not been authoritatively established," but adds that "A widely accepted definition is 'local stamps, telegraph stamps, fiscals, bogus and phantom issues, Christmas seals, registration labels, advertisement and exhibition labels.' That is the definition accepted by the Cinderella Stamp Club, established in London, England, in 1959."
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 240Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05