Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

My Ebay Bidding Fiasco

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 495Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add mootermutt987 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
GRRR!! [Red, Head-Exploding Emoji!!]

I have 15 or 20 WW sets that I am always looking for on eBay that would nicely fill spaces in my albums. In my albums, the Trucial States page has one set (Scott 1-11), which needs filling to complete the 'country'. A couple days ago, I saw this set on eBay and it was going to close this morning. I got up early (for me) to see if it was still reasonable - I wanted to pay $17-$18 (I am a cheap dirtbag). With 1 minute left, it was still selling for $13.50. I put in my bid of $17.76, and waited until 5 seconds was left before confirming the bid.

All this happens in 5 seconds:

I confirm my bid. It pops up with me being outbid. The "Do You Want To Do A Quickbid?" window pops up, and the lowest button is $19. I weigh my options, and decide I might as well end the search and get this set for a few pennies more than what I wanted. In the 1/10th of a second it takes my finger to twitch and click on the $19 button, it changes to $28. My finger was, perhaps, 3/4 of the way through its half-inch twitch to the mouse button (the trigger had been pulled at the beginning of the twitch) when the $19 button changed. There was MAYBE 1/30th of a second for me to see the change and holster that finger. Of course, me being human and all, this holstering didn't happen. My brain didn't even register the $28 until after it had been hit. Click! "You Won This Lot!" $27.05, plus $1 P&H, plus my local sales tax - total price $30.88!!! For something that I would have been hard-pressed to be happy at $20 total. 6 SECONDS earlier, I thought I could possibly get it for $14 + $1 + tax!!

GRRRR!!!

Thank you for letting me vent. Anyone else with eBay bidding fiascos?

ETA: AND, of course, I was outbid on all my lots (3 or 4 lots I was interested in) at the Matthew Bennett auction going on at the same time! I think I will just go back to bed.
Send note to Staff
Edited by mootermutt987 - 06/11/2021 3:04 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5362 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   3:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good move ,glad you got it . In a week or a month you will forgotten the cost but you will have the stamps ......enjoy.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Of course, you are right, floortrader. ***IF*** I survive the blood pressure spike!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1509 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   3:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add dudley to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is why I always bid the maximum I am willing to pay at the time I first view the auction, plus another 10 percent, and then forget about it until it's over.
Learn More...
9493 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   3:15 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll send you the $15 if it will lower your BP.
Don
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I'll "Bid it & Forget it". Set it for whatever I'm willing to go. Sometimes it work, most times not.Sometimes I'll hover and do a snipe bid if it looks like the last bid is low without much current action. Wait until 5 seconds to go, then hit it with a fair advance.
Sometimes I pay more that I should have, sometimes less.

I always laugh when it's over, and I lose on a $1 advance. "Oh No!", if only I had gone one more. Of course the opposite is true, when it goes for $1 less than your too high bid.

An old collector once told me at an auction, "If you outbid me, you paid too much."
Pillar Of The Community
550 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I see nothing but positives here. You have your stamps, Don has opened his cheque book, and you have told an awesome story which was written well enough that I can actually visualize the entire 5-second span. So you have entertained us all :) Although thankfully you weren't sitting in front of any overly-autographed 1c magenta stamp auctions or Don's chequebook may have been quite sealed up and you'd have made the local news.

I can't recall any eBay mishaps like that, but I went to a local event years ago where there were a bunch of raffle prizes. I was desperately after one of them and bought a pile of raffle tickets - the kind where you have two halves to the ticket - the half you keep and the matching numbered half you throw in the raffle prize bag. I carefully started tearing apart all my expensive tickets and gleefully tossing them into the large brown paper raffle-ticket bag. Mr. Raffle-Emcee-Guy starts listing off the winning tickets and BAM, my number gets called. YAY! Except I put my tickets in the wrong bag and won a bunch of kitchen items and gift certificates I had no use for. Oops. Care to trade some measuring spoons for your stamps?!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am so sorry, mootermutt987, that you actually won the final set of stamps to complete that country and it spiked your BP. I hope next time you have a chance to complete a country, you lose the set, your BP stays normal and you remain happy.

Now reading the above out loud, I must disagree with it.

Reminds me of a fried who bragged about going to Westpex and getting a particular set for 20% cheaper than at the local dealer which amounted to a savings of over two dollars. When I pointed out to him the costs of BART (public train) and the SF Cable Car ride and the extra over 1 hour in round trip commute time he said that doesn't count, he would have spent that money anyway.

You sir are overlooking the wonderful story you have been able to tell about you finally completing that country. The ability to tell the story had some value, right? Enjoy!!!!

Valued Member
United States
36 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   8:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a similar experience not with eBay but one of the large auction houses. I was bidding via the internet on a stamp and was almost at my max. When I hit the button to give a raise it had already been raised twice. Got the stamp but it was $500 more than I had planned. I always remember the saying that you only remember the ones that got away and not how much it cost you for the ones you got. Not quite true here but true most of the other times
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2644 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've never used their quickbid buttons, but I can understand how it would be tempting at the last second because you might not have time to type in a number and hit bid before it ends., but I am with the people who say pick a number and stick with it win or lose.

I have experienced situation where an item is at $11.35, I've tried to bid $14.39 and it tells me I need to bid at least $17.06, so my losing bid never even gets entered in the list.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1160 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   10:03 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I bid around $200 more than planned for a single stamp once, on a move like that using SAN on mobile. I was in a taxi on Puerto Rico and trying to bid. I went to bid around 500 and ended up bidding around 700 when the bid changed in mid-finger-flight. I did learn my lesson that day, but I do still have the stamp. It's the Scott 66 I still have in my collection.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So let's add this corollary:

You bid, you lose by not one cent, but by one second? Do you wish you bid one cent or increment more?

With auction houses, the tie bid does not post; rather you learn when you see the lot sold for your high bid amount, but not to you. Comments?

@eyeonwall: Yes I have had that happen. I have also been contacted and asked, "Dan I though you were going to bid better on the item, what happened?" Yeah, about that, my high bid wasn't even good enough to even post....
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6408 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   10:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very easy to do on SAN especially when there are multiple bidders hitting the buttons and things are moving really fast.
Valued Member
United States
93 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Revenue N Covers to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Impulse control! the lack of same is exactly why eBay is set up this way to easily let you bid over your limit. You have a great $10 story and the stamps too. I had a similar jump on a beer label that was $227 over what I thought I was doing.... and still lost....

One of the greatest postcard collector of the 20th C was asked if she ever paid too much for a card.... "No, but I did some too early" Andy
Pillar Of The Community
United States
720 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   11:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I read all these responses and I must admit that every one of them has a bit of wisdom! I think, in the end, I paid a little too much (in real dollars, in the context of everything that goes on in life it is meaningless) but that part of the deal will fade into background noise, I had a story to tell - that part will probably stay with me for longer than the $$$ aspect of it, I learned a bit of a lesson on bidding strategy.... AND I GOT THE SET, BABY!!!

Thank you, all, for your positive input.

ETA: As to the BP spike, my head has stopped pounding. What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
Edited by mootermutt987 - 06/11/2021 11:13 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 495Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05