Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

France Catalogue Opinions

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 754Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
My old Scott has got me this far it's time to upgrade!
Problem is I'm not sure what to get?
I've read positive and negative about a few
Any suggestions? Opinions or why you prefer a certain one for a specific reason?
(If you have multiple catalogues)
Appreciate the help!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5951 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If you want the best catalogue in English, get Gibbons. If you want the best catalogue, get Maury. Similar price to Yvert, and much better.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have no problem with it being in French (second language here :)
Now I kinda get thrown off when you refer to Maury (new to this) would you be referring to the 2021 spink and Maury?
Edited by Just_fella - 06/11/2021 5:04 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5951 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes - the auction house acquired Maury a few years ago. Prior to that, Maury's distribution was pretty dire.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   5:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
How is that for the colonies?
I was also thinking of getting the 2018 y&t colonies
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5951 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   5:39 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Maury catalogues for the colonies are older and hard to obtain. Yvert isn't as good, but is reasonably priced and available. If you want Monaco and Andorra and other bits and bibs, you'll need a third Yvert volume. Gibbons also does a French colonies catalogue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
516 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   5:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Calstamp to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Prefer Maury for France. Great coverage. Appreciate the detail illustrations.

Purchased a brand new hardcover version via either Amazon or eBay a couple of yes ago for under 20
USD.

Welcome addition to philatelic reference library.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
1015 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   7:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree with above - Maury over Yvert for France, it's a superb catalogue. Maury for colonies is also good, but so hard to find, Yvert is more readily available.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1569 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   7:10 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Definitely Maury most early stamps have a whole page. I bought the 2021 Hardcover and I love it.
Valued Member
United States
231 Posts
Posted 06/11/2021   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Greaden to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
For modern, late twentieth century varieties, the illustrations and descriptions in Yvert are much more helpful than those in Maury.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5951 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   06:07 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can find older copies of Maury/Dallay non-dom and colonies catalogues at Spink. Check the postage to Canada, as it may be alarming!

https://www.spinkbooks.com/index.ph...gory&path=88
Edited by GeoffHa - 06/12/2021 06:07 am
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   3:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
2021 Maury ordered
and I have to say at a much better price then when I looked last time
Now to find one of the colonies by Maury
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   9:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The price for shipping from spink don't seem all that bad,
I've definitely paid more for less
Looks like I'll be starting with
Dallay - Catalogue des bureaux francais, anciennes coloies, et zones d'occupation en Europe et Asie, 2006 - 2007
And
Dallay 2006 - 2007 - Catalogue de cotations des Timbres des DOM-TOM

That should keep me out of trouble for a little while :)
Thanks everyone for the help
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   12:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Received today!
With the surprise of an additional catalogue bought by my wife as an anniversary gift!
She's a keeper

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2046 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   1:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just Fella I would be curious to know what you find in terms of listed shades, especially in the DOM-TOM volume 1900-1945.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1195 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   1:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went straight to Guyana to look for the hammock
Nothing...but oh my..I'm so glad I got these!!
Now I'm really excited for the other shipment to get here
I'm not seeing to much listed about shades, I think a passed a note saying something like there are many shades too many to list so they list only the Extreme
Or something to that effect
Edited by Just_fella - 06/18/2021 2:32 pm
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 17 / Views: 754Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05