Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Spanish West Africa Revenue Stamps 1911

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 707Next Topic
Page: of 3
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
889 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Edifil gives CV of 510, 395 & 174 Euros for MNH, MH and used respectively. (Seems to me that Edifil CVs are roughly 30-40% over Scott equivalents). It lists those 12 values as the complete set.

~Greg
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   09:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Greg, thanks a lot for the kind reply
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/11/2021   03:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just received and mounted 1941 non issued stamps from Spanish Gulf of Guinea. It is very difficult to find the revenue stamps I collect, so I settle for the next best things, revenue stamps overprinted and surcharged for postal or airmail use.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/11/2021   07:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Very nice Jos.
I especially like the way you broadcast the Bibliography, and the
value of purchase.
Full disclosure is fabulous for the caretakers of this collection in the future.

Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/11/2021   08:51 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,

To make the write up for the page I had to spend half a day searching the internet and even now I am not sure its 100% right. When I learn more of this new collecting area, I will frequently update the write up. I indeed document carefully to make sure the future owner realizes what kind of stamps and he has a running start to investigate deeper.
I guess my style is similar as yours. When I get a new stamp, I really want to know and learn as much as I can find. This brings learning and a deeper enjoyment than just buy stamps and stick them in a book.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/11/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jos,
Galvez continues to tease,
I want that catalogue, but price has me sitting on the fence.
Awaiting my Japanese Revenue catalogue first.
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   06:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some new addition of Spanish Gulf of Guinea revenue stamps.
The 5 lowest value stamps are still missing.
The picture depicts Allegory of Mars.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   07:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Annobon, Elobey and Corisco,
Pin pricks in the Ocean, West of Equatorial Guinea.

Annobon.

Corisco
(Elobey here, is about 5km West off Coco Beach)
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No idea why the Revenue Stamps would have an allegory of Mars
The vignette looks like a Female, surrounded by a palette and a Lyre?
Edited by rod222 - 07/16/2021 07:19 am
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   08:05 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
rod,
also not sure, it was described as such in Barefoot
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   08:18 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rod,
The story is between Mars the Roman god of war and Venus. Maybe on the stamp, Mars is temporarily absent due to war commitments. So we only see Venus
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   08:24 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
However looking at the stamps again, the figure has a shield in the left hand and a spear in the right.
Also looking at paintings of some 600 years ago, Mars always has long hair and looks kind of sweet.
My conclusion, the stamp shows Mars
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   8:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unconvinced,
I cannot see any relevance to Mars, other than a guardian deity.
but on a revenue stamp?

It may be perhaps BELLONA

Bellona was an ancient Roman goddess of war. Her main attribute is the military helmet worn on her head; she often holds a sword, spear, or shield, and brandishes a torch or whip as she rides into battle in a four-horse chariot. She had a temple near the Theatre of Marcellus. Her iconography was extended by painters and sculptors following the Renaissance.

The evidence on the stamp including the CADUCEUS creates a dichotomy, as the caduceus is also recognized symbol of commerce and NEGOTIATION

Requires further research.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   8:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

A larger image of one of the stamps would be helpful
Valued Member
United States
143 Posts
Posted 07/16/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Page: of 3 Previous TopicReplies: 36 / Views: 707Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05