Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Plate Error - And Some Things Never Change

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 189Next Topic  
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   5:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
First thing:(These are two separate cards)
Plate variety.UPSS-S8 (Scott-UX9)
Listed as S8x (Plate varieties, various)Most not shown in catalog.

What is great about being a member of the UPSS is that you can do a search of all past issues. I found two great articles about S8 plate varieties.This illustration shows an example like mine from one of them. (says five examples, but don't know it that's number known, or just from the authors collection.)

One came from Oneonta, N.Y. Feb.14,1889. The other from Ottawa, Kansas Dec 28, 1988.

And some things never change:
Read the back of the card to Mr. Townsend A well know stamp dealer of the time), and a Mr. Judd (a collector).
I wonder if Mr. Judd ever got his 500 stamps.

And, today which would you rather have, the 15 cents in pre-1888 stamps(no doubt MNH!, or the 500 stamps(of the world?) pre 1888.

The internet being an amazing thing (good and bad), I fount this in Google Ebooks for free - The American Philatelist (1889),Volumes 4-5.

I'm sure there is more to be had on Mr. Townsend, but this article struck me as different century-same collector spirit in all of us,even today.

I'll stop for now, went on too long.
Best to all,
pat

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would hesitate to call any of these "errors", but rather progressive plate wear or damage. The postal cards of this era have many, many examples of this.

On a related tangent, here is a thread on some UX18 varieties.
http://goscf.com/t/71326
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by John Becker - 06/12/2021 8:06 pm
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/12/2021   8:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
O.K. - Mislabeled as error in the title.
Described as Plate variety in the body of the post, and later as plate scratch by the UPSS article.
Thanks,
Pat
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
  Previous TopicReplies: 2 / Views: 189Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.09 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05