Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question About Paper At Franklin/Washington Issues

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 448Next Topic  
Valued Member
Germany
47 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   08:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add grisuhh62 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

I noticed that there is not only the "normal" paper and the so-called "bluish" paper, but that the "normal" paper was used in different thicknesses. Because, in any case on the 10 cent (especially perf. 12, Type A-148, exists with Watermark 191 and 190) of all issues, the paper on those with watermark is so thin that a watermark cannot be seen, if you put the stamp traditionally in gasoline. Also nothing to see with Morley Bright and the old "Signoskop" from Safe. I tried some hints to do it with a scanner - without any result.
Something I have never encountered with the 1 cent, 2 cent and 3 cent issues, for example.

I still need to check if it should generally be like this from a certain value level upwards.

Since this phenomenon must have been known for decades, there should be literature about it. The catalogs (both MICHEL and Scott) write (almost) nothing about it.

Do anyone know something about this? Could give me a hint (literature, website)?

Juergen
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
if you put the stamp traditionally in gasoline.

Yikes! Have never heard of anyone using gasoline for water marking, lighter fluids ( Rononol and Zippo) or watermarking fluids like "Clairity"
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
481 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   11:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rhett to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The gasoline reference is probably just a translation error, judging by the substantive content of the question otherwise. I have no knowledge to impart on the question but am interested in learning from any replies.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2644 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   10:28 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"on the 10 cent (especially perf. 12, Type A-148, exists with Watermark 191 and 190) of all issues, the paper on those with watermark is so thin that a watermark cannot be seen"

Because of the color of the 10c stamps, the design shows through strongly when in watermark fluid and this makes seeing the watermark more difficult.
Valued Member
United States
64 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   1:41 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm with @rhett on this, very interested in how this is resolved.

With you in spirit @grisuhh62 I too have had these same issues. Which is why I come to this forum. There is almost always someone who works on the issue your having. They always provide an answer or a link to find it.
Valued Member
Germany
47 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   2:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry for "gasoline". It is a fault of translaton.
I tried again "Waschbenzin", and DeepL says "benzine, white spirit, petroleum ether".
I mean "purified benzine from the pharmacy". This is standard for decades here in Germany.

You have to look into the Catalog because some inks come off and this is mostly described.

Back to my question: have You made the same experience that the thickness of the paper varies? I still want to find out which issues/nominals have what kind of paper.

Juergen
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   5:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Washington Franklin issues printed in either Orange or Yellow ink are notoriously difficult in finding the watermark if there is only a fraction of the watermark on the stamp. I don't know of any paper variances in the third bureau issues--I think is just that these two colors of ink are giving you that appearance when you are putting them in fluid. It is difficult to find the watermark unless there is a significant portion of the watermark present. Examine the edges closely for signs of a portion of a watermark. Also, on used issues, the cancellation can hide portions of the watermark, again if there is only a small portion to begin with. Having said the above, even larger portions of a watermark can at times be more difficult to see on single-line issues. Double-line watermarks tend to be easier to find.
Edited by Al E. Gator - 06/14/2021 5:31 pm
Valued Member
Germany
47 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   12:55 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add grisuhh62 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good Morning,
sorry for the late answer.
What I see in Your replies there is no qualified possibility to determine the watermark precisely on some of these stamps. Am I right???

Are there some good books about this issue? Except the "Experts Book".

Have a nice weekend

Juergen
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1071 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Al E. Gator to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Something that may be of assistance for you.

https://stampsmarter.org/learning/H...termark.html
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   6:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
What I see in Your replies there is no qualified possibility to determine the watermark precisely on some of these stamps. Am I right???

Juergen, here is an image of a pane of stamps with the single-line watermark superimposed. As you can see, some stamps will have only a tiny little bit of the watermark present. And perforations and postmarks may obscure that little bit as well.

Previous TopicReplies: 9 / Views: 448Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05