Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

RPPC: "Save The Redwoods"

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 148Next Topic  
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   1:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
On the Redwood Highway - "Save the Redwoods"

Save the Redwoods League was founded in 1917. Urged by then National Parks director Stephen Mather, three prominent conservationists drove north on California's newly constructed Redwood Highway to investigate the status of the tallest trees on Earth.

(Not sure of the date of the photo - unused, but I'd guess late 20's/early 30's)
Photo by E.R. Freeman

Some history on the Save the Redwoods League.
https://www.savetheredwoods.org/abo...ion-history/

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   4:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice card Pat.

It may surprise you who the women of the Women's Save-the-Redwoods League of Humboldt County were. I know I was, when I watched this 1 hour 8 minute youtube video of Humboldt County Historical Society Lecture - Who Saved the Redwoods?

EWxFLS_8b4U
t=PLFQmB-z_Iy574kszq4Q1O59AAzKBNjigF&index=4

So happens, I collect Humboldt and Mendocino counties, and have a few Redwood Highway cards, mostly used ranging from 1924 to 1935, plus a couple unused Trinidad Redwood Hwy cards.

Also have 3 " Save the Redwoods" machine slogan cancels from 1923-4.

The Highway from Ukiah in to Trinidad.

These last two are unused, no idea of the date.

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
littleriverphil - Thanks for the adds. Have some more around here somewhere, will add if I find different.
Saw your "Lanes Redwood Flat" card was by the same photographer. Wonder if taken during the same shoot?

Are you anywhere by the Little River Inn? Stayed there once long ago;last I looked now priced way out of my league.

pat
Valued Member
142 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   12:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Add this one - "Mighty Redwoods on Eel River" Humbolt co., Calif
It has the Eureka PM, and slogan "Save the Redwoods". (but very faint cancel)
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
2659 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   09:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add littleriverphil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are you anywhere by the Little River Inn?

LOL. I moved to Little River about 32 years ago, to be closer to the golf course. When my first eBay id was highjacked, I used littleriverphil as my next id, because the ladies at Little River's post office all called me the Philatelist.
I moved to Oregon about 10 years ago.
Really, my name is Don, but there seems to be couple of them already.
Edited by littleriverphil - 06/14/2021 09:40 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 148Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05