Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Kind Of Seems Like A Lot To Pay For A Fake Revenue Overprint (R158A)

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 881Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1654 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add James Drummond to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tail light guarantee.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes it is.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32550 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Tail light guarantee.

What does that mean, please?

If fake, I would have thought the current high bidder at $500
would have a deeper knowledge of these
Are peoples disposable incomes so high, to bid on a hunch / trust?

Ah! solved
The taillight guarantee means that your support ends when your refractory contractor's truck pulls out of your lot at the end of the job.
Edited by rod222 - 06/13/2021 6:16 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32550 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What does the "H" stand for in the title?
I could not see it mention in NY stamps glossary.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   6:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hinged. If it was genuine it might matter, but it's a rather obvious fake. Letters too thin and too pale, stamp shade incorrect for the genuine provisional.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32550 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   7:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Hinged.

I thought so, I find it blindingly deceitful, how vendors offer a used stamp and quote Mint unhinged prices.

I am presuming the $12,500 is the price for a fresh mint stamp.

How these companies get away with continual irregularities beats me.
The ugly side of Philately.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7494 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the same cat, mint or used. It's really quite a scarce stamp.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5972 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   7:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
"As is" seems to be a euphemism for "it's damaged and very likely fake, but go ahead and buy it if you want it".
Valued Member
United States
69 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   7:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add oldboldandbrash to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
nystamp bidders are a different breed… (I say this as one myself, but I only bid on the cheap stuff I swear!)
Valued Member
United States
109 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   8:05 pm  Show Profile Check ericjackson's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add ericjackson to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is an insane price to pay for an obvious fake. The stamp has no chance of being genuine.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

This one, listed as a R158a reproduction (see the printing dots) sold 10 days earlier for $41.98 by lotsastamps with 3 bidders. The copy in the OP had 8 bidders.

Quote:
I am presuming the $12,500 is the price for a fresh mint stamp.

Quote:
It's the same cat, mint or used. It's really quite a scarce stamp.

Regarding 2021 Scott Catalog, R158a mint is $15,000 and used just $12,500 with both prices for just F-VF.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   9:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
So a $12,000 stamp with no cert starts at one penny...….. Whoever "won" it deserves it. Sorry.
Valued Member
Learn More...
446 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   10:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add StateRevs to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Same seller has several state revenues listed with bogus cat values. This is not unusual at all for them.

Correct cat numbers, but fantasy valuations.

SC BL47 Mint; cat $10; eBay lot lists $40
PA ST8 Used (actually ST27); cat $17.50; eBay lot lists $90

Pillar Of The Community
United States
669 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   10:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
So a $12,000 stamp with no cert starts at one penny.

So what should the start bid have been? $40 seems good since the reproduction brought that amount, right? It does look better than the reproduction copy.

@StateRevs, there are many thread about the seller:

https://www.stampcommunity.org/topi...PIC_ID=46609

http://goscf.com/t/9423

http://goscf.com/t/51822

For more just do a search on "NYStamps" and get 10 pages of returns.

Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/13/2021 10:29 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6430 Posts
Posted 06/13/2021   10:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The start bid can be a penny. The point is that if somebody thinks that a $12,000 stamp is on eBay with no cert and a penny opens it and it is actually genuine they have been drinking too much grain alcohol while inhaling paint thinner fumes. IMHO
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 22 / Views: 881Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05