Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

So Many Different Kinds Of Wrong

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 962Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   11:02 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No problem Don, I thought that was where I had put it in the first place.

Parcel - yes, just a slight mismatch between the image and the title.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
654 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
US American Flag 2018 Forever Postage Stamp 100 Count Roll

These are now being sold on eBay from Southern California with many new sellers running a bunch (100s or 1000s) then being "sold out."

The price for a $55 soon to be $58 roll of 'forever stamps' has hit a new low price of $9.25 per roll including FREE shipping.

I wonder how many rolls can be packed and shipped in a shipping container?

These are starting to move in big enough quantities, perhaps the US Postal Inspectors will move on these now.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy: My wife bought two rolls of the same flag stamp (USPS #749700 SC#5260 from someone on farcebook who was closing down an office. As usual I went to raid them for the plate number. They look and feel perfect but... No plate numbers (should be one every 31 stamps) and a closer inspection gave it away.

Took them to our local post master, who agreed but didn't want them. I was directed to the Postal Inspectors who opened a case but didn't seem very interested. We complained to Paypal who refunded the purchase. I've seen a couple articles about counterfeits of this particular flag issue.

See: https://www.linns.com/news/us-stamp...ps-improving
Edited by jconey - 06/23/2021 4:12 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
654 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
@jconey, If you are not aware, counterfeits of US stamps are listed in the Scott US Specialized Catalog. I think between OX (official seals) and Test, but way back of the book. Thus they are collectible.
Valued Member
United States
240 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy: Thanks for the tip, I was aware of that and was surprised to see the section which I first noticed around 2014 or so. I do have a few but not many that are listed in Scott's. Most are counterfeits not sold as postage to unsuspecting mail patrons but counterfeits to prey on collectors. For example I have a real interesting set of counterfeit confederate stamps and a real bad counterfeit of a penny black and SCN 1 and 2 which I have created album pages for. I've started to pick them up when I see them, if I can get them cheap. Some counterfeits actually carry a pretty hefty price.

The books Stamp Counterfeiting by H.K. Perschel and How to detect damaged, altered and repaired stamps by Paul Schmid both sparked my interest in them a few years back.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2643 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   8:49 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcel - after seeing what you wrote, I went to eBay and there are at least 3 different screen names who have sold over 500 rolls each. All three are listed as being in Rancho Cucamonga and all 3 use an identical easy to identify image, so it is either the same person or at the very least all par of the same scheme. That's over $80,000 and they are operating in plain sight. I remember back 20 years ago or so the PO shut down some mixture sellers because some of uncancelled skips being harvested. This counterfeiting dwarfs that and they don't seem to care.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 21 / Views: 962Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.13 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05