Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

UV Light Recommendation

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
716 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   1:30 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Moyock13 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Just curious what sort of UV lights folks are using?

My son being a mechanic uses an ultra violet light to detect leaks in the coolant system in the fleet vehicles he services. He has a pretty good knowledge of what works and what doesn't. He turned me on (sorry for the pun) to a little UL flashlight, BOLDER, by ANKER, $23 on Amazon.

For those of you that are on a budget or, like me, who feel specialized stamp stuff is too expensive. This is a pretty good deal. It's small, easy to handle and short wave. Works on all the stamps I have and is good detecting grills, embossments...

Just sayin!

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   2:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree that specialized stamp gear can get pretty pricey. Thanks for the link, I'll go check it out.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
864 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   2:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add NSK to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on what you want to do with it.

Long-wave uv-light, normally, is useful for showing fluorescence.

To show phosphorescence, it depends on the country. A number of countries, foremostly the UK, used phosphors that react to irradiation with shortwave UV-light. That tends to be the expensive type of lamp. In many of those cases, a long-wave UV-lamp will be of little or no use at all. This would be the case for most UK phosphors applied up to the mid-1990s. At best the long-wave uv-lamp will show some phosphorescence. It, however, is not good enough to identify the type of phosphor. Often, it will not be helpful at all. The same goes for some other countries.

Looking at Lighthouse's US site, the L80 longwave lamp costs USD 24.95.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
716 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   3:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Moyock13 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My bad. It is a long wave UV light, 380nm wavelength.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7513 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   5:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Moyock, as we stated in an earlier post you need a short wave light. The best and most dependable ones are the AC lights. The portable units are fine for exhibits but to go into the stuff they are not satisfactory

Peter
Edited by Petert4522 - 06/14/2021 5:18 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3043 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   06:48 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have multiple UV lamps - short and long range. The shortrange model performance is dictated by the quality of the notch filter that tunes defines the wavelength (how much side leakage renains).

My favorite is a Lighthouse brand. My second favorite is a Raytech Versalume dual wave but no longer made.

I also have a 11W rock light (https://www.ultraviolet-tools.com/) which works even in normal light compared to the 4W battery models but the bulb life is short (on / off cycles).
Al
Edited by angore - 06/15/2021 06:52 am
Learn More...
United States
4727 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   1:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add kirks to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are lots of threads about UV Lamps here in the Supplies forum.
Use search above.
  Previous TopicReplies: 6 / Views: 324Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.18 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05