Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Is This Proper Postage For The 1930's

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 248Next Topic  
Valued Member

Canada
169 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   3:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
These three covers stood out from all the rest I have from the same time period because they each only had 1 cent postage on them.
The vast majority of my other cards and letters from the same time period all have 3 cents of postage
I did notice that each one of them weren't sealed at the envelope flap, not sure if that makes a difference.
Were these legitamently sent as printed matter which was 1 cent up to 4oz's during this same time period and if so why didn't everyone send them this way at just 1 cent.

Cheers, Bill

Send note to Staff
Edited by Hounddog Bill - 06/14/2021 3:50 pm

Pillar Of The Community
7610 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   3:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bill

Picture one and two are the same cover...Just saying.

Robert
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, you are on the right track. These would have been sent unsealed (at the time of mailing, but might be sealed now) and noting the date, contained Christmas cards.
Valued Member
Canada
169 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   4:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Wert, I corrected it above.

John Becker, correct they do contain Xmas cards would this be improper use or was it legitimate and allowed.
During this time period many people sent cards to everyone for everything why would they have not all sent them this way.
It's only 1/3rd the price and at a time when people were still fighting the effects of the depression.

Cheers, Bill
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   4:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I do not know exact postal regulations in Canada, but I suspect it is nearly identical to ...

In the U.S. these would be "single piece, third class", which would typically be unsealed greeting cards with no additional writing inside except for signature or other very minor note. (a basic greeting card is "printed matter") They are frequently seen with undated cancels. If sealed or containing any significant writing, then it must be uprated to first class.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
650 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   4:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jarnick to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The basic Canadian printed matter rate was 1¢ from April 1, 1868 to April 1, 1951. On April 2, 1951 it increased to 2¢.
Pillar Of The Community
7610 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   5:05 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither link has any direct application to printed matter rates.

Jarnick - good to know the rate period!

Quote:
why didn't everyone send them this way at just 1 cent.

Because many mailers wanted to add a personal note/letter inside the card, thus requiring letter rate postage. Certainly some mailers overpaid and some greeting cards slipped through with messages which were not detected.
Edited by John Becker - 06/14/2021 5:07 pm
Valued Member
Canada
160 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   8:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had a look in the Canada Postal Guide from 1947 (I suspect that the 1930's would not be too much different) and it gives quite an extensive definition of printed matter (or more precisely third class matter), too much to repeat here. Essentially, it can not contain any written correspondence. Any letter, or anything which contains a letter would not qualify.

Jan
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 248Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.14 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05