Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Want Opinion For This Block 4

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 766Next Topic  
Valued Member
Egypt
349 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   5:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add agmasd56 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Are there interval in heads to lower side of stamp
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
2644 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   7:13 pm  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are you asking about the heads (and black plate number) being shifted down?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3494 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   11:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are there any inverts for these stamps since two separate printing plates were used?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   11:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Are there any inverts for these stamps since two separate printing plates were used?

No.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
528 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   3:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
No inverts, but there are near black omission copies https://www.cherrystoneauctions.com...%2D79+Issues

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7490 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   5:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have seen that particular stamp, it's certainly interesting. PFC 542242.
Valued Member
United States
61 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stamp Hunting to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the link @rismoney. I haven't seen that one before. Interesting look to it.

If your pic is accurate then I would say you have found a misprint. However, I would look more at listings of Fakes, Oddballs, and simple printing errors.

I Durland Plate Catalog does list these plate #'s and shows that they are a bottom right block. They don't mention any misprintings. The printers are usually very good at removing errors before they go out the door.

I'm hoping that someone in the forum has a link to a place that may have that information.
Edited by Stamp Hunting - 06/15/2021 7:36 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1754 Posts
Posted 06/17/2021   10:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add essayk to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Your downward shift probably isn't bad enough to be good, but it is certainly good enough to be interesting.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/17/2021   11:42 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
isn't bad enough to be good

Yes the shift is not huge, however in the particular direction it occurred, it does create a change-of-design stamp in as much as the name ribbons are now obscured. The added value would be a couple of dollars more than the non-shifted block.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6408 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   12:17 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The black is not shifted down but rather the red is shifted upwards.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   09:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have several of this issue that are slightly black shifted to the left but not quite by this much. I'd say you have an interesting piece even if not a show stopper. I agree with Rogdcam, Red is shifted not the black.
Edited by jconey - 06/23/2021 11:20 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The black is not shifted down but rather the red is shifted upwards.
(Rodgcam)

Quote:
I agree with Rogdcam, Red is shifted not the black
(jconey)

Please explain why you believe your (false) statements when all the printing information says otherwise. Also if you knew better, please say why you are purposely misleading the correct understanding of the production of this stamp.

This stamp was printed in two different printings. The first with 100 subject frame plates first followed by 100 subject vignette plates but due to paper shrinkage centering the black vignettes was difficult and produced too much waste. The second printing used 100 subject frame plates which were then perforated and cut into two printing sheets of 50. Then the vignette was applied by a new vignette plates of only fifty subjects.

THE RED FRAME WAS PRINTED FIRST AND THE BLACK WAS SECOND AND IS THE COLOR SHIFTED.

What prompts the understanding of production runs and printing orders on this stamp is due to the several imperforate vertically examples including unique plate blocks. Top is $26,000; bottom is $21,000 and the unique center-line block of 10, $15,000 when sold at public auction. Realization such as that prompts interest in proper understanding.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/23/2021 4:19 pm
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe Rogdcam was making a bit of a joke and I was following suit. Sorry I didn't put a happy or laughing face on it for you. I thought it obvious from the centering of the red frame in the perfs.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
668 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I thought it obvious from the centering of the red frame in the perfs.

Actually you just backed into a point of interest regarding perforations.

Stamps with more than one color have a printing order of those colors and yes with certain types of presses, the printing order for some colors can be simultaneous.

However, perforation is often set to one color, which for the stamp in the OP was red. However, especially in the modern era, it may not be the first printed color and as such if the "keyed color" is mis-registered, the perforations will key to that color and perforate "correctly" with that color. Thus all the other correctly printed colors will look shifted in relationship to the perforations making for a headache to sort out if a misperf or color registration issue without deeper research that just eye balls.
Valued Member
United States
262 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:50 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcelpostguy: The red was correct and so were the perfs. Thus the smiling devil emoji Rogdcam used. Yeah, I understand, you have to watch for the dry and sarcastic sense of humor if you don't have one yourself.

Of course you bring up a good point to. I could also say that the red was shifted/misalignment, black printed where is should have been and the perfs simply were aligned with the red but doubt that is really the case and you're right about a headache trying to figure it out. But in any case to make no mistake... the red shift comments in posts above was a bit of humor on our part.
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   5:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately the tone of a post is very often absent and many of us take these threads quite seriously. I know I do, and I have been led on wild goose chases before. Tongue-in-cheek attempts at humor are almost always lost, and it seldom ends in a happy result.

That said, I will side very strongly with parcelpostguy that the production order of the ink printing and then the perforations is critical to a proper description of what a particular item is and what deviates from the expected.
  Previous TopicReplies: 15 / Views: 766Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05