Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

70 78s Scanned Then Enhanced And Compared

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 546Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
25 Posts
Posted 06/14/2021   11:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add martin53545 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have a hard time sorting the 70 and 78s in my collection (accumulation) so I did a little experiment with my scanner. After I scanned each stamp I used the feature in my editor to "enhance" each stamp. Finally I put each original scan along side its enhanced version and pasted them all onto a word document and then saved as a JPG. The JPG here does not do justice to the word doc.
The enhancement did not give predicted results but they are interesting. Comments?

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   11:23 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The enhancement did not give predicted results

What result were you expecting? It would be more interesting to see a single scan of all the stamps with all image enhancement options "off".
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   1:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I used the feature in my editor to "enhance" each stamp

Means absolutely nothing without a detailed description of what "enhanced" really means and that each image was enhanced exactly the same.

Nothing beats the human eye.
Learn More...
9498 Posts
Posted 06/15/2021   2:28 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Just to illustrate, consider these Siegel images from the same page of the same catalog number.

We have no idea how these images were generated, if any 'post scanning filters' were applied or even if they were scanned with the scanner lid open or closed. Virtually useless as any kind of color ID.

Below is the same postal card, using the same scanner, the same scanner configuration, no filters... but look at the difference in color between scanner lid open and scanner lid closed. (Scanners are calibrated from the factory using scanner lid closed, unless you recalibrate you scanner, always scan with lid closed.)

As Germania mentioned, a single scan showing all stamps side-by-side is about the best you can do. It will show the delta between the stamps. Of course it will not tell us what color they are, each of us will see different colors depending upon our graphics chipset in the computer, the LCD screen manufacturer, graphics driver software, and ambient lighting.

Don
Valued Member
United States
25 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add martin53545 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the comments, What I wanted to see by doing the scan and then the "enhancement" was if the true colors would come out. In my opinion they did. The enhancement brought out colors. What can't be shown on this forum is the color differences because of the limited file size. The picture here shows basically grays or blacks with a hint of greens on a dull gray background. The actual file (Word) shows vivid lilac, red, violets, blues, browns with brightening of the dull background.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1161 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:07 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My question would be: Yes, colors came out - but are they "true" colors? I don't know what software you are using or what enhancement algorithm you are using. But most enhancement algorithms try to bring color and contrast to some kind of average or "expected" colors and shading. So the enhanced images are prettier, but I don't think we would accept the resulting color as somehow more realistic or accurate for the purpose of cataloging the stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
3660 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes I wonder if this chat board should even entertain questions of shade/color?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6413 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly how are "true colors" defined?

True to what?
Learn More...
9498 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Simple example on why trying to ID stamp colors on different monitors is nuts. As you can see, every display generates colors that are slightly different from one another; this can be true even if all the displays are from the same manufacturer. Yes, we can all agree that the screens above contain blue, but we are often trying to ask about very subtle color deltas on stamps. What I am seeing on my monitor can be very different than what others are seeing.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6413 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - How did you get a photo inside of my Living Room?!
Learn More...
9498 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:32 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
From your webcam, of course.
Don

And please put some pants on!
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6413 Posts
Posted 06/20/2021   9:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
France
165 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   03:29 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add naufrago to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32539 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   03:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Thanks for the chuckle Don.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 546Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05