Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Help With Ux25 (S35A &s35B)

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 170Next Topic  
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   6:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Need help with UX25 Grant International card of 1911 (UPSS #S35A &S35B)

I need to know if you can confirm if yours to be type A (57mm) or Type B (56mm)

And which picture of Grants forehead it resembles (top or bottom)

I'm working on a small collection of the S35Bx and this bottom one is causing trouble. It looks different than all the others, but measures the same as a type II.

FYI- In 1985 UPSS catalog showed eight different plate varieties of the type II card. In the next issue they were deleted because of the growing volume of cards. Now only referenced in the 2020 catalog as S35Bx (various), and points to various back issues of "Postal Stationary" for illustrations (from the 80's issues)

Lewis Bussey, the postal card catalog editor for UPSS, was kind enough to send me copies of the pages from the 1985 catalog.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Pat
P/S - These two do include one of the varieties noted (S35Bd) "break in second line above right ribbon"

Send note to Staff
Edited by patg23 - 06/16/2021 7:02 pm

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32535 Posts
Posted 06/16/2021   8:58 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Opinion.
Both images are the same, differ only in Ink Viscocity or application.
The forehead indicates what also is happening elsewhere,
the details are more pronounced in the deeper ink.
The top one is over inked, but show more engravers marks, but also smudges the right eye (his left)

The over ink is causing bleed or ink pull, top of right "2" amongst others
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 06/16/2021 9:01 pm
Valued Member
United States
332 Posts
Posted 06/17/2021   08:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Germania to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I can't help you with the catalog number but the two images you posted are different varieties. The first image has 19 lines of shading between the right side of the portrait and the oval. The second image has 16. Also, the second image has a flawed "A" in GRANT. But I could not say if that is constant or an anomaly.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32535 Posts
Posted 06/17/2021   7:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Gee! I'd like to see that listed in a catalogue,
I put that down to less ink.
I cannot see how a variety would be engraved with just 3 more dots.
Valued Member
149 Posts
Posted 06/17/2021   8:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You mean like all the "fly-specking" in Brusden-White?

It's o.k., people get to have opinions.

I'll be sending to UPSS and ask to see if they can help. Will let all know if I get an answer.

Thanks all,
Pat
  Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 170Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.11 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05