Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sun Science No Die Cut Press Sheets

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 500Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
78 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   2:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Gizzmo4222 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
The USPS is getting as bad at the US mint with sell outs in a matter
of a few minutes. I called the stamp center at exactly 7:00 am to try to order a sun science press sheet with no die cuts.
I was on hold for 77 minutes before getting a person telling me they are sold out and that they still have over 200 calls in their queque.
She said they have 80 operators taking calls. How is the average collector ever supped to get these sheets. The USPS needs to print larger quantities to avoid creating modern scarcities.
The only bright side is that I was told that starting in 2022 they will be offering a subscription services for these items. I wonder how many subscriptions they will allow before they are all booked up.
Send note to Staff

Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I called at 5:28AM PST, waited an hour and just hung up.

Just like having real time inventory control, it must not be easy to start people on a subscription program that has periodic releases. It's much simpler and easier to print an arbitrary amount of press sheets and sell them out fast like they've been doing for years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
120 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   12:12 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add BobInRye to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I called at 8 NY time, on hold for 18 minutes and then purchased my sheet. Pursued this one only 'cause I like space. But creating artificial rarities is wrong.
Valued Member
United States
188 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   04:43 am  Show Profile Check stampCat7's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add stampCat7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I tried to get the Sun Science imperfs and called exactly at 7am central. I was placed on hold for over an hour. When they picked up I was told that they had just sold out.
Edited by stampCat7 - 06/19/2021 09:58 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6403 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   08:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It is clear as day that the intention of the USPS is to create "buzz" and scarcity. No other reason to throttle supply like this. If there truly are 80 operators on the philatelic lines you can pretty much extrapolate the numbers of collectors/buyers trying to purchase these items. The USPS knows full well what they are doing because they keep doing it and it works for them.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   09:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
IMHO, the USPS is intentionally causing shortages to spur overall interest in stamp collecting. I'm guessing that the earlier 2012 era NDC stamps with production numbers like 300-800K made collecting them trivial while the more recent 2016 numbers of less than 100K force scarcity varying entirely upon individual demand. For the USPS, selling $100-350K less of stamps with less work for the tradeoff of an overall push for consumer/collector interest is likely a USPS goal. Just look at the other "collectibles" the USPS sells, definitely not money makers.

When I was trying to buy the Droids NDC sheets, the customer rep mentioned they weren't doing staffing differently for the release and 20-30 on the phones was normal.
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would think one possible way to avoid these problems is to order online a hard copy of the philatelic catalog which comes with an order form. I got one --- without asking because I had had some delivery problems with them and as a minor compensation they sent me a catalog. The catalog provides upcoming issues so you could send in your order form in advance to get the press sheets without die cuts. I don't collect these as I find them cumbersome and don't exactly get the draw of these -- except when the stamp design benefits especially from the absence of die cuts.

The next catalogue will be out in July and you could call USPS Stamp fulfillment to have them send you one on an ongoing basis. The order process wasn't too bad although the online remains the one that is clearest and consistent with good packaging. However, the mail-in order form does offer the chance to have sent to you a pane of 4 rather than one stamp or whole sheet and other special orders for stamps already issued. You pay an extra fee but it is worth a try. I will give it a go when I receive the July catalog and IF I see something that I find attractive.
Edited by chris s - 06/23/2021 8:41 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1232 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add JLLebbert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You can't order press sheets in advance via phone. I suspect the same is true of mail orders.
Valued Member
United States
113 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   11:19 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add DrGG to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
What is the Sun Science Scott #
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
53 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   2:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
don't know what a good "source" would be, but the online sellers are using 5598A-5607A and 5607C
Valued Member
13 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   7:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add chris s to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I checked my hard copy catalog - yes you can order Press sheet of some stamps with or without die cuts in advance. Look at the online version. I was able to order in advance some panes in advance and the catalog did seem to offer a similar advance order for press sheets. However, the catalog can be confusing with its little symbols so read it carefully and call the telephone line if unsure.
Edited by chris s - 06/28/2021 7:11 pm
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 500Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.17 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05