Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Can Someone Shed Some Light?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,458Next Topic
Page: of 4
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/18/2021   7:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Could you add a better pic of the right stamp please
3L60 sounds right
I remember asking about this....percyjpg helped me with it
Now stanly gibbons acknowledged that it's in grey in that letter
but didn't add it to the catalogue in all this time?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by Just_fella - 06/18/2021 10:03 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   12:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm sorry for not responding sooner. I got side tracked.

It seems strange to me too that Stanley Gibbons officially recognized the existence of this color variation for this over print more than 61 years ago and it has been omitted from the catalog all this time. That is some serious oversight.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   12:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be if it wasn't a nc300(a) don't know if it translates to a 3L60 or 3L49(gibbons vs Scott)
But I could be wrong that's why I said to wait for another opinion:) floortrader is far more experienced then me
Sometimes they have to be talked threw
I'd think in 60+ years someone would figure out the reason for the grey (bad mix,revenue specific or what have you) but no notes I seen
Edited by Just_fella - 06/19/2021 12:51 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   2:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your translation thus far. I have been able to correlate what you are seeing and saying which my own with my own 2010 Scott catalog You have been a really big help. China and other countries are not my specialty.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   2:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd thank SCF for the help that's where I learned
I think there may be more discussion on this :)
So still learning
Edited by Just_fella - 06/19/2021 2:40 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   2:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
You're right. SCF I want to thank you as well.

I'm definitely looking forward to more discussion about my stamp. I would love to be a fly on the wall at Stanley Gibbons to hear what they have to say and Im on the fence about contacting them.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd wait on contacting them :)
Two different catalogue
Gibbons may list where Scott's might not
I think we are talking about the same stamp
3L60 and nc300 both April 1949
Edited by Just_fella - 06/19/2021 3:24 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I plan on it. I am very reluctant to send anything that I have in my collections out for certification or recertification in this case. I had a really bad experience with that in the past. It took more than six months to get my property back and the company wanted to buy it for their own reference collection at pennies on the dollar. The item went from being declared a fake to being genuine which is what I had suspected all along.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd love start a plate position study like the British penny black.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you'd have your hands full but could be worth it
there's lots to learn still about these stamps :)
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   3:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It would be challenging to say the least. I however love a good challenge especially when someone tells me it can't be done.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   4:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not telling you that unless you need the encouragement:)
C.S.S (China stamp society) would be a good place to start
I'd think
(Wonder if the grey is recognized by them?)
Edited by Just_fella - 06/19/2021 4:05 pm
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That's a great question and great idea.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5446 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   4:59 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
To come to Stanley Gibbons defense you have to understand both England and the United States had restrictions on trade with Communist China and remember your talking about stamps from a closed society so even them,they were not eager to give info. to foreigners .
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 06/19/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
That is an excellent point.
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,458Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05