The French post offices in the Ottoman Empire were post offices in various cities of the Ottoman Empire run by France between 1812 and 1923. France was one of a half-dozen European countries, the others being Austria, Russia, Great Britain, Germany and Italy, which had been granted the right to maintain post offices within the Empire.
This privilege was distinct from the so-called "Capitulations" which, since the 16th century, had been negotiated with a much larger number of countries and which granted some extraterritorial rights to citizens and commercial enterprises of those countries. Initially restricted to consular mail, these post offices could soon be used by foreign and local businesses and individuals, provided they used the postage stamps of the post office concerned. The system came to end with the Treaty of Lausanne in 1923.
The Ottoman Turks first captured the city in 1387. Kavala (Cavalle, Cavalla)
was part of the Ottoman Empire from 1387 to 1912. In the middle of the 16th century, an Aromanian converted to Islam in his late teenhood, Ibrahim Pasha, Grand Vizier of Suleiman the
Magnificent, contributed to the town's prosperity and growth by the reconstruction of the late Roman (1st - 6th century AD) aqueduct.
The Ottomans also extended the Byzantine fortress on the hill of Panagia. Both landmarks are among the most recognizable symbols
of the city today only the office in Istanbul reopened, operating from August 1921 to July 1923. Stamps of France were again surcharged, with values from 30 paras to 75 piasters.
French PO in Turkey 1893
Steiner Page 60.