Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

For Those That Complain About Ebay From A Buyer's Perspective - Etsy Problems

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 606Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5231 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   08:40 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add revenuecollector to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Be careful what you wish for; it could be far worse.

I'm currently in the middle of a frustrating buyer experience on Etsy, a platform I'd only used once previously many years ago. I keep seeing references on the eBay forums from disgruntled sellers saying they will close up their eBay stores and go sell on Etsy... yeah, well good luck with that.

I doubt if there's a more buyer-hostile platform out there.

So I purchased a piece of ephemera on May 30 and made immediate payment. After 2 weeks without any marking of the order as shipped, I reached out to the seller for a status update. No response.

We're now at 3 weeks and no shipping, so I figured I'd read through the Etsy forums and perhaps ask a general expectations question there. As I was browsing, I found it odd that there were no "Buying Questions" or similar sections of the forum. I go into the Shipping section of the forum, and attempt to ask a question, and am confronted by a big honking red error telling me I don't have permissions to post there. I start looking at other subforums, same thing. Since they use Lithium, the same forum abomination that eBay uses, I wonder whether I have the authentication connected to my Etsy account properly, so I sign out, clear all cookies and cache, and re-login.

Same thing.

So after doing some Google research, it appears that when Etsy was bought out and they transitioned to Lithium, in order to cut down on contentious public "buyer-seller" interactions on the forum, their ham-handed solution was to make the entire forum system seller-only. That's right, if you are a buyer at Etsy, you cannot post or respond anywhere. It's a private sellers-only club.

If there's anything out there more overtly buyer-hostile, I'm not aware of it. I would not consider selling on any platform that has that much disregard for its buyer base.

At least on eBay, for good or evil, there are plenty of forum sections for buyers and sellers alike to converse, ask questions, and vent.

What a fustercluck.

***Title Updated***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
559 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   11:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add stamps101 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeesh that's brutal. I shopped there a number of years ago for some unique hand/made type home decor and it was good back then (for that, at least) but at the same time, I did not require customer service thankfully and that was also 5 years ago - times change. I hope your issue gets resolved.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
204 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   11:49 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've only had 98 transactions on eBay, 16 this last year. The only problems I've ever had is being outbid!
Pillar Of The Community
United States
626 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   12:03 pm  Show Profile Check 1typesetter's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 1typesetter to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've used Etsy only once with a positive experience. I bought a lot of 3 beer stamps. 2 were REA156 and one was REA156a.
Needless to say, I was thrilled.
Been looking for my next gold nugget ever since.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
32757 Posts
Posted 06/21/2021   7:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

I have purchased Australian Ephemera through Etsy, no problems.

Your original problem is with the seller.
Which, in turn has highlighted the problem with the service.

My vendor was fine. I guess I was just lucky.

I also dislike, the bay, (managed payments) but I have no other choice.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
4466 Posts
Posted 06/22/2021   12:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add redwoodrandy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Congrats on the great beer score. A thriller.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5750 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   07:33 am  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My (limited) experience on etsy has been excellent. This weekend, paid for a rug on Friday evening, it was shipped from Ankara via DHL on Saturday morning, and with me in London at midday on Monday. A letter wouldn't have crossed London in that time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5231 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   09:20 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I never got any response from the seller. Finally had to log a dispute. Got my money back, but really wanted the item. Sigh.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1506 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   10:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add cjpalermo1964 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Etsy does have a buyer-seller "conversation" system that basically does email forwarding, but otherwise no buyer protection. It is no more helpful to the buyer than the county that owns a fairgrounds where a flea market is held. Consequently, experience is individualized depending on the seller and service is all over the place. I am currently waiting on a $270 replica movie prop that the seller completed late, necessitating renegotiation of the target delivery date. That date now has been missed by 3 days, Etsy says the seller shipped, but the carrier says it has no information other than that a label was created. I'm going to give it two more weeks but I'm expecting to end up like Rev.
  Previous TopicReplies: 8 / Views: 606Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.58 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05