Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Question On Ebay Sellers Pricing Structure.

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,118Next Topic
Page: of 2
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm not saying anything needs to be done. Just pointing out the silliness of some eBay sellers.

As I said, the first seller had some very nice items, the second not so much.

The post started out asking about why some sellers price structure the way they do.I receiver some valid points.Doesn't mean I understand them.
Some sellers make sense, some don't.

As a previous poster said, some people seem to want to keep their items more then they wish to sell.
pat
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
3753 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:23 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
why some sellers price structure the way they do

Only the individual sellers can answer about their own pricing strategies and theories. I doubt their reasoning is silly to them.
Forum Dad
USA
1708 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:25 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'm not saying anything needs to be done. Just pointing out the silliness of some eBay sellers.

The silliness is on eBay. If they let the sellers use Best Offer without a BIN as they should, people like you don't get your panties in a twist.
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:36 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Rest assured, my "boxers" are not in a twist.
Since this has devolved beyond helpfulness, I will leave it at that.
pat
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   9:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
people like you don't get your panties in a twist.

...or knickers in a knot.
Forum Dad
USA
1708 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   10:01 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bobby131313 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly.

This is a selling technique used successfully by thousands upon thousands of eBay sellers. Has been for years.

But it upset you enough to make a topic here to complain about good 100% feedback sellers.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   12:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I actually asked the seller about it and got not one but two long and reasonable replies from him. Oh and during this thread's duration I have purchased items from this seller. If he gives me the okay, I will post them, the replies. I have already posted the material elsewhere in the SCF .
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/25/2021 5:52 pm
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
bobby131313 -

I'm not upset - mad - twisted - or angry.

I asked about a strategy I did not understand.

I received several helpful answers - yours were not among them.
pat
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   01:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwright to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am the seller, or one of them being discussed so I thought I would chime in on my first post here. I run Aztec Collectables and sell under that name on eBay andHipstamp/HipPostcard. I am a second generation dealer and have been selling mostly postal history and postcards part time for the past 15 years.

Because I do this parttime I try to have unusual or eclectic material that sets me apart from competitors, of which there are many. I am listing around 500 items a week on average with start prices ranging from $15 to around $750. Everything that doesn't sell goes into my store as a BIN and I accept offers on everything. As a general rule I will accept offers within 20% of the list price, the longer I have had something in stock the more I will discount. My goal is to sell items within 3 years of listing them.

I try to be perfect but sometimes I make mistakes, I misclassify material, etc. Feel free to reach out if you have questions about accuracy or pricing. I claim expertise in some areas (Holocaust, Zeppelins, FFCs, etc.) but not everything and I venture into new areas and learn as I go. My customers and other dealers have been, and are, a huge source of knowledge and education for me.

I try to be transparent in my business practices. Other things are, the more you buy the more I can discount, for more expensive items I am happy to sell directly and pass the savings on to the customer.

My observation is buyers want the best material at the lowest price. If my prices are not fair material won't sell and I must be doing something right as I have been able to grow my modest postal history business into around 75,000 or so items listed for sale after starting with $500 to invest in 2008. And I owe it all my wonderful customers. And the non wonderful ones have taught me things too. :(

Also, I do not "collect offers" and have no idea what it means. I try to respond to all offers within 12 hours of receiving them. I can usually articulate the basis for my pricing. Most of what I rely on is what I have sold similar items for in the past. Someone list a bunch of DDR coves for 99 cents each and they sell for that, I think its meaningless. if I have sold similar covers for say $25 I am relying on my experience not others. My goal is to sell everything and not leave anything for my estate to deal with.

Paul Wright
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   02:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I actually asked the seller about it and got not one but two long and reasonable replies from him.... If he gives me the okay, I will post them, the replies

No need, he replied himself as you can read in the post above.

[EDIT] When I posted this I only saw his post above. This morning I got his eBay messaging message telling me he was fine with me posting his messages to me. I will do that below as within those messages he mentions other aspects of eBay which gives sellers concern.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/28/2021 2:53 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6632 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   08:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A huge round of applause for Paul for taking the time to explain things. Outstanding.
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   12:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Aztec Collectables:
Sorry you had to be bothered, but thank you for taking the time.
I had a question on how/why dealers price some things the way they do. As things do on the internet, it seemed to get out of proportion to the intent.
I enjoy looking at the offers on your site. As I said previous, there are many nice items to be had (and unfortunately for me,out of my price range).
Anyway, thanks again and best to you,
pat
Edited by patg23 - 06/28/2021 12:17 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here is the exchange between Paul and myself on eBay messaging during this thread:

Quote:
Hello,

I have been following and yes buying items from you for quite some time. Over all your prices have been fair to a bit high, but that does not matter.

What I am writing about is why is everything now being started at $85 lately? Am I missing something or is there an issue with eBay? I ask as there was another cover seller [cjmce1] who could only list at a high price due to a glitch and then later had to go back and reduce the start back two his 2.99 or .99 normal open.

I am also asking as this $85 opening has become a point of discussion on a stamp board and I was wanting to give you a heads up if you wanted it.

Take care,

Dan

First reply-

Quote:
Hi Dan,

Basically I am being hammered by chargebacks, over $7k over the past year. I am trying to focus on higher end stiff so when I charge for registered mail, $18, people are okay paying it. No one wants to pay for registered mail on a $20 item. and about 70% of my sales are overseas.

I am also trying to upscale my business and have more interesting and scarcer items than the average dealer. It is also a matter of resources. It takes just as much time and energy to list a $1 item as it does a $100 item and just as much time to ship it. that said, profit margins tend to be much higher on less expensive material.

But shipping and chargebacks are the main problem I am having. I had to set up a fed ex account for expensive orders due to all the problems I have been having with the post office. and I like USPS.

Anyways, I am generally flexible on all my pricing and reduce prices until everything sells, it might take a while but I get there.

paul

Second reply-

Quote:
Hi Dan,

I just wanted to note that every month I am listing hundreds of covers in the $24.99 to $49.99 range. The economics of selling on e bay have forced me to stop selling lower priced items. I am trying to get rid of what I have under $15 now. Today I sold 4 covers for $1 each. Another thing I have noticed is I have the most customer service issues with the lower end buyers. E bay doesn't distinguish between a complaint over a $1 item or a $1000 item. All of which is pushing me towards selling more expensive material.

Which I dislike. I believe philately is a hobby everyone can enjoy regardless of their budget and I am saddened that the economics of eBay is forcing me in this direction. Big budget buyers buy the inexpensive material too and folks with limited budgets add up in the aggregate. But this is where things seem to be headed.

As you know, I accept offers and the longer I have stuff the more I will discount it. My goal is sell everything, not leave it for my estate. Thanks for reaching out on this. Feel free to contact me direct about anything too.

Paul

My reply to the messages-

Quote:
Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply. With the delays in mail related to the pandemic, charge backs have been a real issue from what I have seen.

Anyway, this is the thread at Stamp Community Forum I mentioned. You may want to just copy and paste you responses to me or tell me to do it and I will. There I am "Parcelpostguy" http://goscf.com/t/77783

Dan

His next reply-

Quote:
Hi Dan

Headed to the po.[He was mailing my recent purchases.] I can't see it in my ove but will look this evening. I just sold a bunch of $35 covers I listed two days ago.

Part of it also depends on what I have to sell. The zeps and kz material all tend to be be over $100.

Anyways I will check it out.

Paul

And last reply-

Quote:
Hi Dan,

I replied on the forum, feel free to post my prior responses. I am listing a lot of BINs in the $35 to $49.99 range as well.

paul

See here: http://goscf.com/t/77495 as that thread was started with a cover I picked up from Paul at what I felt was a quite reasonable price.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   3:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add pwright to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope that addresses everyone's questions and concerns. If not, feel free to ask. I try to be as open and transparent as possible in my business practices. Not everyone may agree with them but if you understand them you can see the logic of where I am coming from. A lot of the issues that are raising concerns among buyers and sellers alike are eBay's business practices which continuously squeeze sellers more and more. But we seem to be as powerless to do anything about e bay as we are about comcast, Google, Facebook and the other tech behemoths.

Paul Wright
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 29 / Views: 1,118Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05