Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Canada Cancel Help, Please

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 410Next Topic  
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   08:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add EdziuMM to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
It isn't easy to read this partial strike cancel but I think it says "....RLMONT, B.C." Anyone know what the full name is? My thanks in advance for any help with this puzzler.

Send note to Staff

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   09:04 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Guess
COALMONT B.C.
Pop: 100
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rod222 - 06/23/2021 09:06 am
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good guess!
I can see the bottoms of the C and O and what I thought was an R was an A.
Many thanks!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   09:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes a lot of "print noise" (random bits of ink ) surrounding the impression, adds to the confusion.

If correct maybe a scarcer postmark given the closure in 1940.
Good Luck.
Valued Member
Canada
174 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Hounddog Bill to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
If it was closed in 1940 and this is postmarked in 1955, how could this be?

Cheers, Bill
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
602 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:39 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 3Dadeo to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think you are correct that it is *rlmont, BC

Don't have an answer though.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:09 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
If it was closed in 1940 and this is postmarked in 1955, how could this be?

The mine was closed, the town remained with lower population,
a few places remain open for visitors, I cannot find a source that
suggests the PO, it may be as Australia, the store is the local PO.

Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Success from endeavor.......

COALMONT Post Office

The older buildings in Coalmont, like the hotel, meat market, general store, livery stable, and the office section of the Mozey-On-Inn, date to 1911–1912, when the town was established. The Mozey-On-Inn Office had a twin which was the post office from 1948 to 1950, and was destroyed by fire in the 1960s. Both buildings were located on the west side of Parrish Ave. between Main St. and Front St. The Mozey-On-Inn Office, which was the post office in 1951–1952, survived and was moved diagonally across the intersection of Main & Parrish during the 1970s. The post office moved into the general store in 1952, and Walt Smart took over as postmaster. Walt Smart ran the general store from 1946 to 1971, and later the Coalmont Emporium, which he built directly across the street, where the old twin post offices once sat. His father, James, was the postmaster from 1942 to 1950, and his grandfather, W.H. Holmes, was a placer miner at Granite Creek during the Gold Rush days.
Pillar Of The Community
7682 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   4:45 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add wert to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The town Coalmont was established as a coal mining town and the first Post Master was James Betts assigned August.1.1911.

In 1926 the town had a population of 400...the last Post Master Walton William Smart took the job September.26.1952.

There today are 80 residents and as far as we know the P.O. is still active.

Robert

Edited by wert - 06/23/2021 5:25 pm
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   5:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your contribution Robert

"Just saying" or "Go Figure" ... horrible , incongruent phrases
Pillar Of The Community
3804 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   5:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Population data:
I always take population data with a grain of salt and remember that any given post office serves not only its own town population but all the rural residents half way to every other town around it. How many PO boxes does it have? How many customers on rural routes? Etc. I don't need to know the specifics for Coalmont, but just something I keep generally in mind.
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33036 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   5:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed John,
I was a census taker, in the next town up, locally, and we had the town boundary, and a local farmer to do the broad outer limits and the
location of all the homesteads and farm houses and dwellings.
Valued Member
United States
418 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   09:46 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add EdziuMM to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW!!!
Valued Member
Canada
166 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   11:25 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Coalmont is 9 miles west of Princeton on the Tullameen River.

The post office opened 1 August 1911 and closed 15 August 1988.

Three hammers were used: split ring, solid ring with large letters (yours), and solid ring with smaller letters.

The rarity factor of this post office is B (open, but harder to find, or closed but quite common). (The published rarity scale goes from A to E).

Jan
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 410Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05