Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

We Found My Deceased Father In Law's Stamps!

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 438Next Topic  
Valued Member

United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add jamor9 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Hello there! My name is Jim and I am a stamp accumulator!!
My wife and I are working on de-cluttering our house and recently came across her deceased father's stamp collection. I'm probably going to give most of the stamps to my nephew, who is just getting into stamp and coin collecting, and to some other folks in my life who are casual collectors. I have enough knowledge about most of the stamps he had to know that they aren't worth anything major, but then I came across his pre WWII German stamps. I did some researching and learned just enough to know that I needed help. I posted part of one page on this forums intro page and was told that the ones I posted weren't worth anything, but some might be, especially if they have been cancelled. So, please help if me with these if you can and thanks in advance!
Jim

Send note to Staff

Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:21 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Batch#2

Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Batch #3

Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   2:31 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

That is the last one!!
Sorry, I didn't realize I had taken that many pictures!!

Thanks again for any help you can give!
Jim
Pillar Of The Community
United States
654 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:43 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
My knowledge of Germany is of no use to you. However, Scott now makes a Classic Catalog which has the stamps of the world pre-1941 (ish) in one book. Most library have this either as a reference or check out copy.

Other than that, I just wanted to say I endorse your stated plan:

Quote:
I'm probably going to give most of the stamps to my nephew, who is just getting into stamp and coin collecting, and to some other folks in my life who are casual collectors
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:47 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5668 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   3:54 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Noneed to visit the library. I'm afraid these are pretty much more of the same - the stamps one finds in lots of albums from eighty or ninety years ago, and still worth pennies today. But the albums and stamps would be a nice gift for someone interested.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2009 Posts
Posted 06/23/2021   7:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add TheArtfulHinger to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Giving them to a nephew is probably the best course of action if you're not interested in keeping them for yourself. In terms of money, the pictured stamps are worth very little to most collectors and essentially nothing to a dealer.

That being said, the history represented on these stamps is priceless. The hyper-inflation issues of the early 1920's were a subject of endless fascination to me as a kid when I first started collecting - millions (and eventually billions) of marks just to mail a letter! That's a fascinating era of history all in its own - paper money was so worthless that people had to carry baskets full of money into stores to buy anything. There are stories of people putting their baskets down for a short time only to turn around and find that someone had dumped all the money out and stolen the basket, leaving the money behind. There are endless stories in the same vein. It got to the point where paper money was quite literally worth **less** than the paper it was printed on. Those stamps are a tangible link to that (very consequential) era of German history. Then of course there's the Nazi/Third Reich issues with a history all their own that most people are more familiar with. That's the real value here - monetarily there might be enough to buy a can or two of soda but not much more, but the tangible link to a different time and place is priceless in my opinion.
Valued Member
United States
8 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   10:07 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamor9 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your help. This is kinda what I figured, but I wanted to make sure. I will keep some and give the rest away.
You all are GREAT!!
  Previous TopicReplies: 10 / Views: 438Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.27 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05