Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Siegel's Franks And Rarities Of The World Sales This Week

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 549Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
684 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   2:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add funcitypapa to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
What are your thoughts and impressions regarding these two sales and what the market is telling us about the material offered and sold?

*** Moved by Staff to a more appropriate forum. ***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
684 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   3:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add funcitypapa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Siegel sale involved US classics—why would staff feel compelled to move to a more appropriate forum? What is a more appropriate forum? The stamp market, auction sales etc are discussed within the classic US forum every day.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by funcitypapa - 06/24/2021 3:11 pm
Learn More...
9678 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   3:27 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This is the kind of crap that pisses me off. You want the job? All you have to do is invest 20-40 hours per week of YOUR time and never making everyone happy and listening to some people that whine and complain.

Now I get to invest more time in explaining why I made this decision.
First, we constantly (and consistently) have other people who send 'Note to Staff' complaining that only posts regarding US Classic stamps specifically be allowed in that category.
Second, the sale has plenty of US classics stamps but also has other material including covers, franks, and material that is not US Classic stamps.
Third, note the name of the sale "Sale 1239 — 2021 Rarities of the World Sale Date — Thursday, 24 June, 2021"
Fourth, virtually every thread which discusses dealers, sales, and auctions' has been consistently moved from US Classics because we get so much whining about it.
Lastly, I make these decisions based upon my experience and best judgement. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
676 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   6:44 pm  Show Profile Check paperhistory's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add paperhistory to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I watched most of the franks sale and was a bidder on a number of lots. I only won 2 (and one of those was at a multiple of estimate, though Siegel has a long history of going low on bulk lots).

As usual, the material is bimodal. Good stuff goes well, not so good stuff not necessarily, though I think overall there was a lot of interest in the presidential material and I was surprised at the prices. The Abraham Lincoln frank on a mourning cover went rather nutso.

I didn't watch the Rarities sale so can't speak to it.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
543 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   7:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
i really wanted the Edison block, but battle seeme really aggressive and I walked.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7542 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   8:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The Lincoln mourning cover has a tremendous story and great historical value. It does not seem all that much of a shock that there were bidders willing to go very strongly for it.
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   8:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Prices realized for the better material was high.
The US 70d with original gum and XF centering
with small thin went for $52,500. This is $62,000
including commission. Compare this with US 70c
original gum stamp with Ave. fine centering went for only
$6,500? There is high demand for XF 90+ classic
US stamps. The catalog price for US 70d will probably
Increase well beyond the present $25,000. A 70d in the
April 2021 Siegel auction brought $65,000.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
755 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   9:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed that some of the high-grade stamps sold for over SMQ. I noticed lot 645 (USA C-2, PSE graded at 100, SMQ listed by Seigel's as $4100) sold for $8000 plus commission. That's over twice SMQ. Sometimes I see that when the grade is a Jumbo, probably because there is only one Jumbo SMQ, whether the stamp is just big enough to get that attribute or if it is the Schwarzenegger, Mac-Daddy JUMBO of the issue. But for non-jumbos, I don't often see that. Don't get me wrong - it is a gorgeous stamp. But 2x SMQ? This will clearly affect the SMQ valuation - there are only 2 at that grade.

I was not watching the live bidding - does anyone know if the C3a sold? Did it open, then close, at $235000 - the listed realization?
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6644 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   9:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The C3a sold for 235k + tip.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
755 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks, rogdcam, but I phrased it wrong. Does anyone know if the C3a opened at $235k?
United States
3 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   9:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Blackjack to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Siegel rarities PSE100 gem stamps sold High:
US 573 CV $180 sold for $9,500 and
US C2 16c airmail CV $120 sold for $8,000
Again superb centered stamps that hit it out
out of the Ballpark.

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6644 Posts
Posted 06/24/2021   10:22 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I was surprised at how many passed lots there were for a Siegel sale. Many had reserves but a few did not.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
30 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   08:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Wshuwahere77 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forget what c3a opened at but it was 200k or lower. It had some bidding but probably not as high as they were hoping.
Valued Member
United States
24 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   09:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampdoc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - Thankyou for all the effort you put into this board! / Bob
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1182 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   1:42 pm  Show Profile Check rlsny's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add rlsny to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The c3A opened at $120,000 - plenty of bidders
  Previous TopicReplies: 14 / Views: 549Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05