Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Something Fishy With These Deeply Discounted Forever Stamps

Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,121Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6799 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   10:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did not take the comment as being about reused stamps but rather "face" postage. My bad if I misunderstood. That being said I seriously doubt that the scope of reusing uncancelled stamps comes close to approaching the copious amounts of counterfeit Forever postage being manufactured and peddled. Do you? I do not see bulk lots and rolls of reused/uncancelled postage for sale on eBay. Do you? A link to such a lot would be helpful.

Edit to Add:

What does reused uncancelled postage have to do with this topic?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by rogdcam - 06/26/2021 10:38 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
731 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The PO loses exactly the same amount of money on a reused stamp as it does on a counterfeit stamp.

Interesting statistic, do you have reference source for that statement?

Now if you are implying that free carriage, thus financial loss, of mail is the same if reused or counterfeit stamps are used; specifically neither produces any revenue, then you are not addressing the volume of reused stamped mail verses the volume of counterfeit stamped mail. Volume is needed to understand the cumulative losses of each.

It really sounds like you are trying to minimize the losses due to counterfeiting with your reuse comment. Also as most of these counterfeits are likely to pass uncancelled, they have a higher likelihood of reuse as well.
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/26/2021 10:44 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6799 Posts
Posted 06/26/2021   10:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Exactly
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6799 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   08:39 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5275 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   08:42 am  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I took it to mean that whether a given letter/parcel has reused postage or counterfeit postage affixed, the loss to USPS for that item is the same. I didn't take it as a statement as to which was more prevalent or caused greater loss to the USPS in aggregate.

In both cases the USPS is providing service for that item but receiving no revenue for it.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2723 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   10:38 am  Show Profile Check eyeonwall's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add eyeonwall to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Parcel & Rog - Revenue has it correct - all I was saying is for each such stamp used the loss is the same. I wasnot talking about the volume of reused stamps and the volume of counterfeits. I do agree the volume of counterfeits is bigger than the volume of reuses currently. The interesting thong is around 25? years ago the PO shut down a number of mixture sellers because of reuse of uncancelled stamps, but now they are ignoring the counterfeits even though they are far more visible and significant in volume.
Valued Member
241 Posts
Posted 06/27/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

"What does reused uncancelled postage have to do with this topic?"
Sorry if you think I Hy-jacked your post.

Same race, different pony.

Crooks are crooks. They adapt to whatever new technology that is available.

Using the way-back machine (search function), these discussions go back to almost the dawn of this blog. Counterfeit postage / reusing uncancelled postage and the legality of such

At the start of "Stamps" in Victorian England, they were washing penny blacks to reuse them, and the state had to figure out ways to counter them. It's been going on ever since.

In the end, it's all the same crime.
Pat

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3150 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   06:44 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I recall back in the 69-70 era when we lived in Brooklyn, NY that a dealer offered 100 stamped envelopes (current definitives) for well under face. I assumed these were reused postage.
Al
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 23 / Views: 1,121Next Topic  
Previous Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.16 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05