Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Ux27(S37) 1 Cent Jefferson, Minor Variety

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 184Next Topic  
Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   4:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add patg23 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Here is a minor plate variety noted, but not listed in the UPSS catalog.

Called either "unruly hair" or "partially missing queue"

"many minor plate varieties of this card have been reported, such as a break above the "J" of "JEFFERSON", an unruly hair in Jefferson's queue and inscription frame damage"

I was not aware of this one, until I read the article.In going back through my stack of extras, I found two.

***Title Updated by Mod***
Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
700 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   5:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
As knowledge expands, it is fun to see the fly-specks we can find. Congratulations.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7607 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   8:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Fantastic variety, but that does not look like a flyspeck to me. A flyspeck is usually much less obvious, one needs a loupe to see it

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3756 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   10:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A few items:

1. title should be UX27 (S37)

2. I looked through about 500 UX27 cards and found one copy of the unruly hair variety postmarked 1949, quite close to the 1950 example above:

3. Also two copies of the "break above J of Jefferson", which extends upward through the E of One, and also irregularity to the top of the C in Cents. Postmark dates of 1940 and 1945, for those wanting to target their search.

Valued Member
213 Posts
Posted 06/25/2021   11:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
John - you are correct. Thanks. ( That topic title was a mess)

I'm not sure from the article (Mar-Apr 1981) if they have pined down exactly when it started.I've looked for other references, but have not found any.

Thanks for the "J" example; had not seen one. Now I have to go back through the stack.
Pat

Previous TopicReplies: 4 / Views: 184Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.12 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05