Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

How To Recruit Young People?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,860Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
United States
388 Posts
Posted 06/29/2021   07:11 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen J Bukowy: I like that... That's a good idea.

erilaz: I do the same I predominantly collect US and occasionally need to look up stamps from abroad. Our Library usually has two complete years sometimes the last three. They opened back up around here about 6-8 weeks ago.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
539 Posts
Posted 06/29/2021   07:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rismoney to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
All of the valuable stamps are already discovered

This one did have me fooled when I was a kid. I received large boxes of mostly kiloware and a small US catalog. I was deluded into thinking I would eventually find something like a 1502a if I just went through enough stuff.

Little did I realize, it was one guy who found one sheet, hoarded it. Then made up a fake initial price, hocked a few at auction to keep a business running, advertised one at some ridiculous price that I would savor over and kept the rest under lock and key until the advertised one sold and made the next one available. Or a dealer would drop dead and his holdings would come to market. That was the reality.

Now I believe I collect these somewhat because of that inability to have found them when I was young. I don't know the root cause for the bug.

Edited by rismoney - 06/29/2021 07:44 am
Valued Member
United States
203 Posts
Posted 06/29/2021   7:12 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GMC89 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Chris S: just got around to Ted Talks Stamps. Nice piece, enjoyable, truthful, and succinct.
I thought it was a real TED talk so I put it off to wen I could think. As it was, cute.
Library is a cultural thing. People who don't use libraries were never shown the depth or breath of resources available. My daughter takes out a hotspot , weekly, from the library to stream movies.
They have a ton of philatelic resources. Free! At least here.
Cheers
Valued Member
210 Posts
Posted 06/29/2021   10:52 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add patg23 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I enjoy "TED Talks Stamps".

Tried to get all my kids (and wife)interested; no go.Lost out to Pokemon and Yo-gi-oh (not wife). Her hobby is getting me to do house chores.

Have told my wife to pack everything up and bring it back to where I got most of it (hopefully the brick and mortar is still there when I go), take what ever is offered and say "Thank you".

Kids have promised to give me a Viking funeral. Going to pack everything around me, and send me on my way to Valhalla.

I would like to start some give-aways to new collectors, will ask else where here how best to so that.

Pat
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   5:00 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been able to get my youngest son interested in stamp collecting and he will soon be 6. To peek his interest I bought him a Disney collection and he took to it like duck to water and that was three years ago. Now that he is getting older his topics of interest are evolving too. Some of them are trains, flags, flowers, insects and frogs just to name few. It has been a really useful tool to keep him occupied during this pandemic. One of the most interesting and pleasantly surprising results was that he would eagerly share what he would learn with the other students when he was in the virtual kindergarten this past year.
I plan to take some of albums that I have that I don't use along with some stamps and other supplies to his school library and donate them this year. I bet that at least five other children catch the stamp collecting bug.
Valued Member
United States
56 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   5:18 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Shakey 7 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I've also found that when things are free especially to a child. That they will show more interest especially when it correlates to a scholastic subject that they like. My son really likes science and is showing a peaked interest in geography. That is because he has been traveling around the country with us and his grandparents.
Valued Member
United States
84 Posts
Posted 07/21/2021   7:29 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gvol21 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Here in my town we've got those 'free little library' kiosks. I'll leave beginners albums in there - usually ones I come across as part of larger lot purchases, and almost always with some stamps still in them. They're always gone in a few days or less.
Valued Member
United States
338 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   5:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add ecmorgan to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OK.

I have 3 girls, 12-year-old twins and an 11-year-old daughter. One of the three is occasionally fairly serious about her stamp collection - she wants to put together an exhibit.

The other two play around with collecting a little. They've been collecting and "working" with stamps since they first came to live with me (they're adopted) at a very young age, when they'd make artwork around the stamps, which were glued, yes glued, to the page.

You have to collect WITH the kid. Sometimes, for me, that means putting my collection and catalogs aside, and helping the girls sort stamps, find something they're looking for, and giving praise while they put it in their album.

We have to get out of lecture mode. My daughters have been lectured so many times it isn't funny, and kids do not like that. In 2018, we went to the APS show in Birmingham. Alyssa, the more serious collector, asked if they sold binders at the show. Apparently she asked too loud because all these old men suddenly appeared like we were having a half-priced sale at the Golden Coral.

The lectures began. You need an album. It's an album. You have to use the proper terminology. Now go buy an album. She sat their dutifully because I raised her that way, but what she needed was a binder. She houses her collection in Vario pages. She had more pages than binders and therefore needed a binder. She knew what she needed. All the well-meaning lecturers didn't.

Brings me to the next part. Listen to the young, budding collector. LISTEN to them. Sometimes they actually know what they want or what they're after.

We need to take more of an involved approach. Guide them. Facilitate, then get out of the way. Allow them the opportunity to explore, to discover, and to learn. Throwing a packet of stamps and sticking them in a corner, or lecturing ad nauseum is not the way.

About 3 years ago, I moved to a city about 30 miles south of Nashville. Prior to that, we regularly attended meetings of the Nashville Philatelic Society. They seemed to have it right. My daughters were welcomed. Their interests and questions were addressed seriously. They were allowed to participate fully. They enjoyed going.

Stamp collecting has so many aspects and so many areas that it is easy to get a kid's attention. I'm a teacher. Even when I taught high school, I used stamps sometimes in my assignments and as part of my presentations to the class. It does actually generate conversations about my interest in stamp collecting.

Collect WITH the kids. Involve them in what you are doing and likewise, perhaps more importantly, facilitate and be involved in what they are doing.
claymorgan.me Some philately discussions. Some pontificating.
Valued Member
United States
360 Posts
Posted 07/28/2021   10:34 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Cephus to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have 3 girls, 12-year-old twins and an 11-year-old daughter. One of the three is occasionally fairly serious about her stamp collection - she wants to put together an exhibit.

My daughters, for some reason, were born entirely without the collecting gene. My wife and I have collected numerous things over the years, they have no interest. It's kind of sad, really.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1180 Posts
Posted 07/29/2021   04:32 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add erilaz to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
The lectures began. You need an album. It's an album. You have to use the proper terminology. Now go buy an album. She sat their dutifully because I raised her that way, but what she needed was a binder. She houses her collection in Vario pages. She had more pages than binders and therefore needed a binder. She knew what she needed. All the well-meaning lecturers didn't.

That reminds me: I need a binder. I have a "random stuff that I like" topical collection that is about to exceed the capacity of the two Vario F binders that currently house it.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 07/31/2021   03:38 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The only young one in the family is my 12-year old nephew. Everyone else is grown up and I don't come in contact with kids too often.
But I digress...
All my nephew does is keep his nose in the computer playing games. We can barely get him to eat dinner with the family. We tried to get him interested in coin collecting but that didn't work. I think it would be the same for stamp collecting. He even brings his laptop to the dinner table, now that would be the problem for mom not myself. If it was me I would limit his internet usage.
Sadly he would not be interested in stamp collecting.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
54 Posts
Posted 08/01/2021   2:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stephen J Bukowy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Go with the reverse psychology: tell them they are forbidden to collect stamps.
Valued Member
United States
47 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   1:55 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add CoffeeRules to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stephen

LOL that would be a good idea. I might have to try that. I've got an extra stamp album he could use.

JoanneG
Valued Member
United States
90 Posts
Posted 08/02/2021   10:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add PekingDuckDog to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
centerstage98 said:

Quote:
In the years I have been collecting, part of the problem was (and remains) some of the elitism of the hobby. There are a lot of influential dealers, leaders and collectors who just have no tolerance for new collectors (no matter what their age) or even intermediate collectors, of which I am and always will be.

Yeah, that. If I knew a teenager who was developing a passion for stamps, a stamp club would be the last place I'd take him - or especially her, because the way I've seen young women get talked to at stamp gatherings has made me physically ill from vicarious humiliation.

Myself, I look almost old enough to be a philatelist, and I can't say I've ever gotten an especially warm welcome at any stamp club I've visited since I rejoined this avocation fifteen years ago. I remember one where I came in, sat down, and nobody talked to me for the first half hour. I'm not kidding. Eventually some guy came walking around carrying a cardboard 12-pack tray full of stamps in glassine envelopes. I looked at them, pulled a couple of $50s out of my pocket, and bought some. I guess that gave me some cred as a serious collector, because when I sat down again somebody asked me what I'd bought.

Oddly, many of the women who came in to pick up their husbands at the time the meeting was supposed to close said hi, asked me who I was and where I was from, etc. That was cool. But as far as the collectors went, I wouldn't walk across the street to hang out with them again, never mind drive around looking for a parking space.

51studebaker said:

Quote:
"you need to buy $800 worth of catalogs, $200 worth of mounts, and another $500 for some albums"

Yup. Sometimes it's hard to remember how it used to be. When I started out Scott was two volumes and a nice big fat Minkus Comprehensive was, what, $60? $75? I really don't remember. It was an amount that my parents - who weren't rich - didn't have a problem with. Hinges were 35¢ a thousand (and they peeled off!). Approval packets like you found in the ads in Linn's were 3¢ a stamp. You could put dents in that fat old Minkus quickly and cheaply enough to not get discouraged. It's not like that at all any more.

Edited by PekingDuckDog - 08/02/2021 10:11 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3101 Posts
Posted 08/03/2021   07:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add angore to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The starting collector would more likely be interested in topicals based upon their non-stamp related interests. Hint for mentors - don't tell them to use the search function.

Al
Edited by angore - 08/03/2021 07:33 am
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 53 / Views: 1,860Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05