Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Revenue Dies For Sale: California State Tax Stamps - Other States And Countries Too

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 331Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community

United States
821 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   2:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I have been watching these printing block dies (NOT die proofs) being sold for some time and yes they do sell. I finally realized that the sale of such items would interest some revenue collectors here. Thus, one can collect "it all" from printing plate through used examples and everything in between.

The title used for the eBay lots is "American Bank Note Company: California Printing Plate (State Seal)" and I have seen only this one seller listing the items. Currently he has five values listed. The prior listings and sales no longer show.

As time allows I will post the other values such that a record exists.

Be aware that in this sellers completed listing as well as current listing, there are many US State Tax Stamp printing dies as well as stamp printing dies for various foreign country stamps. If this interests you, I strongly suggest coping the photos of the material while it is posted by this seller. If you do copy the images, be a SCF friend and post them here in the appropriate category.

Me, I am sorry I missed the Michigan Trout Stamps.

SCF will not allow the reverse side to upload.
Send note to Staff
Edited by Parcelpostguy - 06/28/2021 5:17 pm

Pillar Of The Community
United States
564 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   4:14 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
WOW. I do find this interesting. I have a dozen or so press blocks from Scott and Gibbons stamp catalogs but never even thought about looking for actual production blocks/dies. Kinda pricey, but no surprise there.

Thanks for posting this.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
750 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   4:57 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revenuermd to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
When these are listed at auction on eBay, they usually bring a small fraction of their previously listed Buy It Now prices. I have never seen one that goes at auction for more than $250.
Ron Lesher
Edited by revenuermd - 06/28/2021 4:58 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
821 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   7:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I have never seen one that goes at auction for more than $250.

These large California items have.

But for current sold AUCTION listings of the 193 printing plates items, the range in price from $767.57 down to $16.81 (for a stamp plate) with four non-stamp down to $1.76. Nineteen of the list sold for over $250.

There are an additional 7 BIN/MO items all priced at $700 with one sold at full price and six sold by accepted offer.

Here are the other California Tax Stamp items:

SCF image program is not allow upload of reverse side image.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
821 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   7:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Parcelpostguy to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
WOW. I do find this interesting. I have a dozen or so press blocks from Scott and Gibbons stamp catalogs but never even thought about looking for actual production blocks/dies. Kinda pricey, but no surprise there.

I too have several Scott press blocks. If you won US Parcel Post, Parcel Post Postage Due, Special Handling or Special Delivery blocks, you then beat me.

As to actual lead type printing stuff, I have several small cliche of a Germany military parcel post stamp. Now back to the OP...

The seller in question has 538 printing dies from mostly the American Bank Note Company currently listed. The highest price one is for a China item, "Only one from China" per description. This is the most expensive at $18,200 or best offer:

For the low end, the current auction price is $0.99.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
7148 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   8:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This material was dispersed through auctions beginning in 2006/2007 and continuing for a number of years. If you do the work you can see what things went for. Not too many items went for the prices asked for now.

https://www.coxrail.com/abn-archives.asp
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7629 Posts
Posted 06/28/2021   8:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add revcollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The plate for the post 1898 tax label for Hazeltine went for well over $250; about 3X as much as I recall.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1321 Posts
Posted 06/30/2021   11:26 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add GregAlex to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I went through a lot of these when they were first posted. There is a vast number of American Bank Note steel printing plates out there. One company in particular has a warehouse full of numismatic plates in L.A. I believe this seller is the designated consignment dealer for all the philatelic plates. I think they are asking far too much for these, but maybe they don't mind sitting on them for a while longer.
  Previous TopicReplies: 7 / Views: 331Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.19 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05