Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

What Not To Do With A Rare Stamp

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 573Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1479 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   10:56 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Rob041256 to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
When using hingeless mounts for a rare stamp, any stamp actually is not to cut the mount to size whilst the stamp is inside, or this will happen (left stamp), totally ruined. This injury was caused by a guillotine.

Only 30 of these stamps exist. An unfortunate end to a very expensive stamp. I do not own the left stamp.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   11:02 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
A pity ...

I always cut my mount to size while the stamp is in the mount. However, I learned my lesson early, and very carefully cut the mount on the more expensive varieties. No issues in over 40 years.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6858 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   12:20 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don't drink and cut.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6335 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Whenever there is a chance of a miscut, or shifting, I use a scalpel or sharp craft knife with a metal rule, or triangle on the graduated cutting board.

For large items (souvenir sheets, etc), I make a slight cut/nick at the top and bottom edge of the mount and remove the item before cutting.
Edited by bookbndrbob - 07/04/2021 1:06 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2020 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   1:51 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Some sellers on eBay would describe the lefthand stamp as a "very representative" copy with great centering.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
3733 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   1:56 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Partime to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
Don't drink and cut.

Practice Safe Snips
Pillar Of The Community
United States
535 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   2:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
OUCH!. For odd sizes, I have cut some with the stamp in but always cautious. I have not cut one yet. Generally I will put the stamp in, make a mark where I want the cut to be and cut it without the stamp. For standard size stamps I just use the guide and cut a bunch in advance.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1047 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   3:02 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add danstamps54 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't put my stamps anywhere near my roller cutter. I'm way too clumsy! I measure the stamp and add 5mm to each dimension, find the right mount and cut. It leaves me with a 2.5mm edge on every side. Then I insert the stamp to check my cut.

Dan
Experienced stamps need a home too. I'd rather have an example that is imperfect than no example.
I collect for enjoyment, not investment.
APS Member #223433
Postmark Collectors Club Member #6333
Meter Stamp Society Member #1409
Edited by danstamps54 - 07/04/2021 3:03 pm
Pillar Of The Community
United States
535 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   4:15 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Dan, that's the right way to do it!
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33135 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   9:54 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I have cut my stamps whilst in the Mount for 10 years.
Never an accident.
Caveat, I employ Fiskar Cutting machine Paper Trimmer (Very expensive)
has a plastic mount gripper to prevent movement.

Titanium carbide blade, that can cut down to 1mm strips
(3 times harder than steel)

That said, if I ever had a stamp over $500 for example,
I would no doubt change my routine.
I doubt if that is ever going to happen.
Edited by rod222 - 07/04/2021 9:56 pm
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1479 Posts
Posted 07/04/2021   10:11 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi shermae

On eBay it would be described as a rare error.
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1479 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   12:42 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Rob041256 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod222

I'll be getting a Fiskar cutting machine paper trimmer today.

Rob
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33135 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   02:43 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I'll be getting a Fiskar cutting machine paper trimmer today.

Really!
Wow. Hope you enjoy it.

Pros (other than above)
Made completely of recycled plastic

Cons
The baseboard will lose its graduations after multiple use
(I have mounted perhaps 12,000 stamps?

Now I guage by eye, and that's OK

Be on watchout for replacement blades, dashed expensive as well.
I think I paid a whopping $58
I have used just 1 (double sided blade) in 10 years

I cut plastic mounts, and VERY occasionally paper.

I use Hawid top opening mounts, lay a strip on desk,
place stamps in strips (up to 10 stamps) leaving desired distance between each, then cut height off, then each individual stamp,
feeding them through the trimmer.

I accept no responsibility for boo boos

Edited by rod222 - 07/05/2021 02:47 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6858 Posts
Posted 07/05/2021   08:37 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I use the Fiskar rotary blade trimmer as well and love it. Perfect tool for the job.
  Previous TopicReplies: 13 / Views: 573Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05