Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Why Do These Perf Holes Look Oval?

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 467Next Topic  
Valued Member

Israel
39 Posts
Posted 07/07/2021   05:26 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add gum side to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
From time to time I see this kind of perforation on Palestine Mandate stamps, that rather than there being round horizontal perforation holes (like the strip on the left), the ones produced look more ovalish (like the strip on the right). Does anyone know why that might be?

The perforation measure on the left strip is somewhere between 13.25 and 13.5, and on the right strip its about 13.5.

I have seen instances of different sized holes along the same axis and for this I've been told it's because the perforation pin has been replaced, and not always by a pin of the same gauge. But here the hole sizes (on the right strip) appear to look consistent.

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 07/07/2021   07:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Are the stamps on the left on thin paper (earlier) and are the stamps on the right on thick paper (later)? Maybe the larger perforation holes help to separate thicker paper more easily.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Edited by jogil - 07/07/2021 07:32 am
Valued Member
Israel
39 Posts
Posted 07/07/2021   11:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I forgot to mention the paper in my original post: both are thick vertically ribbed (only that one is yellow-green and the other a darker green color)
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 07/07/2021   1:04 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Were the stamps comb perforated?
Edited by jogil - 07/07/2021 1:09 pm
Valued Member
Israel
39 Posts
Posted 07/08/2021   09:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gum side to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I had to look it up :-) yes, all were comb perforated in this series...

Regarding replaced pins: do you if a replaced pin which is visible in a certain position on a perforation (eg horiontal) would appear in that same position on all the horizontal perforations or just on a specific line?
Pillar Of The Community
3656 Posts
Posted 07/09/2021   10:21 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jogil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It depends on the number of rows/columns that the comb has and how many times the comb gets repeated so that it most likely would get repeated on just some specific lines like for example once in every four rows.
Edited by jogil - 07/09/2021 10:26 am
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 467Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2022 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2022 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.15 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05