Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Does Anybody Else Collect Indonesian Revolutionary Stamps?

Previous Page | Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,328Next Topic
Page: of 4
Valued Member
Canada
166 Posts
Posted 07/09/2021   9:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add j2186 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Bob,

Quote:
What do you do about the machine overprints of Java 1945? (Scott 1L1-22).
I have about 50 of them, and once I finally got my hands on a copy of W. Bruijnestijn's article referenced in Dai Nippon, it turned out that all 50 of mine are forgeries.

Ouch. I have not gone after these yet, due to the difficulties you mention: forgeries and availability. All I have of these overprints are the two cheapest (no guarantee they are not forgeries) in mint blocks of four.

Where did W. Bruijnesijn's article appear? Dai Nippon doesn't say. I'd like to have a look at it.

Jan
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Australia
1651 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   02:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add 22crows to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Found on another stamp site. Note the spelling of the author's name. Perhaps this is what you are looking for?

De postzegels van Midden Sumatra onder Japanse bezetting
W Bruijnesteijn.
Dai Nippon, Hilversum, Nederland 1986
Pillar Of The Community
India
534 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   08:09 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Joy Daschaudhuri to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   10:35 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampdoc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The W Bruijnesteijn article referenced in Dai Nippon is different than the one mentioned above.
The article in question covers only the Java 1945 overprints, and is extremely hard to find.

It took me almost a year to get my copy.
According to the Dai Nippon Society's website, they have a copy to sell for a nominal fee, but after ordering one and months of back and forth emails, they were unable to find it.
It was also listed on the APRL's library catalogue, by author and title, but without a source. After more months of back and forth emails with APRL, they could not find it either.

Sometime later I was scrolling through page 15 or whatever of Google search results for W. Bruijnesteijn and found a website with an alternate spelling of the name outlining the family genealogy.
It had a philatelic section and I wondered if it had been put up by the Bruijnesteijn in question. There was an email address and I wrote to him, and it turned out that it was in fact "the" Bruijnesteijn.
I asked if he had any leftover copies of his article and he wrote back that he was now 89 years old and sadly his wife passed away recently and he had moved to a nursing home, and his children had put all his philatelic materials in unmarked boxes.
He wasn't sure if his children could find the article, but not much later I was happy to get an email from him with the article attached. He published it in 1968 in a small Dutch monthly called "My Hobby".
I have forwarded copies to Dai Nippon and the APRL, so hopefully it will soon be more readily available.

Unfortunately it is in Dutch, and Google translate can translate the text sections, but really botches up the numerical measurements and figures.
I translated those parts and made up my own notes.

If anyone wants a copy of the article (and a copy of my notes, which may be intelligible to me but not the rest of you), you can email me at my "junk" email address *** Private information removed by Staff. Please do not post your address/email/phone number etc. *** and I'll send you a copy.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   10:41 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampdoc, why not just post it here if it is not too long?

Peter
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   2:19 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampdoc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm pretty new to posting on this forum.
I can't figure out how to upload a 15 page pdf document - let me know how if that's possible
Bedrock Of The Community
Learn More...
Australia
33058 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   2:28 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rod222 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Upload your files to a cloud storage service, and share them or email them to others.
Valued Member
Australia
58 Posts
Posted 07/10/2021   10:06 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add snowy121 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I collect this period of Indonesian History including the Japanese Occupation very interesting area .
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/26/2021   11:49 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for posting your stuff,would like to see more examples that you have . I have a few in my forgery collection .
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   2:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampdoc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
One thing that drives me nuts in terms of forgeries is people taking perfectly good Indonesian revolutionary stamps and forging Japanese overprints on them. Apparently the market for Japanese occupation stamps is much greater than that for revolutionary stamps.

Here is a 0114/I-30v from Sumatra

A closeup shows that the Indonesian overprint is on top of the Japanese overprint, as it should be

Here is what I believe is a forgery of the same

A closeup shows that the Japanese cross is on top of the presumably later Indonesia overprint

I would love to get a plain 0114 - I've been looking for 3 years - and someone messed this one up.

Is there anything in particular you would like to see floortrader? I have hundreds of items
Bob
Learn More...
9769 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   2:53 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Stampdoc,
Be careful about under/over assumptions in digital images. There are countless examples in this forum alone where in one part of the stamp it looks one way and in another part of the same stamp it looks opposite. I think this has to do with the way digital imaging software works. Obviously bitmaps only contain 2 axis data (x axis and y axis) and do not contain any Z axis data. Bitmaps typically also combine pixels to make smaller file sizes so we are actually looking at someone's code interpretation of the image and not the stamp itself.
Don
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   3:44 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
BOB ----Would like to get a idea of how you layed out your collection . Do you have it on pages with or without write up ,maybe you have it on stock pages by types . Just trying to see what you did to give me some idea about mounting or layouts ,any suggestions ?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   4:46 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Floor, I have a (small) collection of the Japanese Occupation of South East Asia that I started way back in the late 50's. The pages I have are hand written organized by the sequence given in the book by N.H.Hedeman and R.Boekema, "Dai Nippon in South East Asia".

Peter
Valued Member
United States
32 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   7:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Stampdoc to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Don - I agree that it can be very hard to tell which overprint is on top and I have a number of examples where I'm really not sure. As with all fields I guess, if you're going to buy an expensive Indonesian overprint, get a cert. I chose this one as an example because when you hold it tilted under a light, the purple ink of the cross has a sheen which makes me pretty confident that this one at least is a forgery.

Floortrader - I like to put my stamps in a stock book organized by types, with my documentation in a separate online file. I find this approach makes it easier to move things around and interpolate new purchases. And I try and leave room for new items so I don't have to do a lot of moving around.

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5516 Posts
Posted 09/27/2021   7:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for showing your material ,very interesting .
Page: of 4 Previous TopicReplies: 46 / Views: 1,328Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.2 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05