Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Pretty French Colonies Forgeries

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 246Next Topic  
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...

United States
1550 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   12:54 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this topic Add KRelyea to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I ran across these pages and thought they were interesting, but I don't understand why someone would go to the trouble of creating these forgeries?. I quickly cataloged the New Caledonia page and the total for the whole page was about $200, why creat forgeries?

Send note to Staff

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5443 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   1:17 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I think your way off about the catalog value if they were real , as forgeries they sell for 2 or 3 dollars each if sold as collections according to recent sales on eBay
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Valued Member
United States
272 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   1:40 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add classic_paper to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Yeah, the New Caledonia page (if genuine) would catalog for a lot more than $200.

The Gabon page though, might be around $200 if authentic.
Pillar Of The Community
United Kingdom
5756 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   1:53 pm  Show Profile Check GeoffHa's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add GeoffHa to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
These were produced to satisfy collector demand a century and more ago, and, judging by the numbers you see, I imagine a lot were sold and money was made. I don't know if these also went into the packet trade, which would have been another lucrative avenue.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
2448 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   3:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add hy-brasil to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Most forgeries were not of rarities and high value stamps like Sperati's operation.

Printing was cheap back when, particularly quick and dirty bad printing. The French Colonies Navigation & Commerce/Type Groupe forgeries here, now attributed to Hirschberger, are good quality but were probably still offered relatively cheaply vs. genuine. Plus a collector would also think they were getting a complete set with no effort.

There are Japan forgeries of the imperf 1946-7 issue, where the genuine are still minimal value stamps today. Low values of that issue were forged for the packet trade. So the forgers and packet makers both made some money.

We have the modern US coil forgers on eBay and elsewhere today. One 55c stamp is cheap, but with 100 in a roll and an offering of several rolls at once, things start adding up. And the suckers really like saving all that money vs. face value without caring or suspecting anything might be wrong.

I don't know how you cataloged the first two New Caledonia stamps. Look again and you'll find the fake overprints to be on the wrong stamps.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
1550 Posts
Posted 07/12/2021   5:13 pm  Show Profile Check KRelyea's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add KRelyea to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I noticed the 1st 2 stamps that didn't match the catalog, I thought they were easy to catalog, 0$ is easy. It makes me wonder how many forgeries are in the average WW collection. I used to think 10% might be about right but now I think it's higher than that.
  Previous TopicReplies: 5 / Views: 246Next Topic  

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.3 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05