Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Sad Ebay Transaction, And Still An Issue.

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,362Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

United States
576 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   7:33 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add modernstamps to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
I saw an auction listed with the title stating:
"UNITED STATES--COLLECTION-MOST MNH-ALL DIFFERENT-VF-
MINT POSTAGE IS 30USD". I bid on it and won it.
When I checked the photos of the stamps on the listing I
added up less than $15 worth of postage in the lot.
So I asked the seller to please verify that there was $30
in stamps in the lot. I thought maybe there were more stamps not shown in the photos, or some other way that you get $30 worth of postage.
When the seller responded, he said that I should add up the stamps myself in a rude email. Rather than deal with this seller and this issue with the stamps, I just asked him to cancel the auction.
The seller then responded with:
"I cancel nothing...you bid you pay!! End of debate" "What the **** is your problem......EXAMINE the scans and add it up. Why the **** did you bid??? Add up the detailed scans ....you freaking want me to do it???Get lost". I took out his foul language with ****. The auction has since been canceled, and when I called and talked with someone at eBay they said to report the seller for abuse. I later checked his feedback and I saw another buyer had a problem with this seller. He has a lot of good positive feedback, but if there is an issue it seems like it can get ugly for the buyer.
But anyway, there is still an issue. The seller has re-listed the lot and he still has "MINT POSTAGE IS 30USD".
I don't know if there is anything that can be done, but I would like to see that removed as it is not accurate and someone else may bid expecting $30 in postage as I did. Is there anything that can be done to help other potential buyers?

Here is a link to the auction:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353569377465
Send note to Staff
Edited by modernstamps - 07/13/2021 7:35 pm

Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
5278 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:06 pm  Show Profile Check revenuecollector's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add revenuecollector to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply

Quote:
I bid on it and won it.
When I checked the photos of the stamps on the listing I
added up less than $15 worth of postage in the lot.
So I asked the seller to please verify that there was $30
in stamps in the lot.

Stupid question: why didn't you ask the question before bidding and winning rather than after?

It doesn't excuse the seller's rudeness and foul language, and that's a different matter, but buyers asking questions after the fact rather than before bidding or buying is incredibly annoying and inconsiderate IMO.
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7657 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:10 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with revenuecollector. The only positive thing coming out of your post is that some folks will be more careful when they bid on something.
I would however follow eBay's suggestion and file a complaint against the rude seller

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
3817 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add John Becker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
The link above will soon go nowhere. The only way to make a permanent trail to warn other potential bidders about a rude seller is to fully identify him here by actual name and eBay handle, if the admins will allow it. And yes, report his communications to eBay, even though it may not do much.

Edit: I would also add that his return conditions of not allowing returns on faulty or large lots is contrary to eBay policy. Pretty much EVERYTHING is returnable without any reason at all.
Edited by John Becker - 07/13/2021 8:43 pm
Valued Member
75 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:35 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add tsmatx to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree ask questions before bidding when there is ambiguity, but seller said "MINT POSTAGE IS 30USD" which is pretty unambiguous to me. What could it possibly mean besides there is $30 in mint postage? Totally unbelievable seller could reply to a customer that way, especially seller who has been eBay for 23 years with thousands of feedbacks. OP/buyer is 100% in the right here and I agree with the assessment of the whole transaction being just "Sad"
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:38 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Being more careful before bidding is a good point, and well taken.
Also, I have reported the seller as the eBay customer Rep. said to do.
John, as to your comments, his eBay name is:
lulleypop

Learn More...
9772 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   8:50 pm  Show Profile Check 51studebaker's eBay Listings Bookmark this reply Add 51studebaker to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two legitimate eBay violations here.
1. Items not as described; https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...210#section3
2. offensive language violation; https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/...licy?id=4258

As per John's point...

Don

Edit: Note that we are only hearing one side of this story and I agree that this one side seems pretty 'sad' (and modernstamps has always appeared to me to be a reasonable and logical kind of person). Hopefully, someone will send the seller this link (or he will do an online search on his seller name and follow the link here) and we can hear his side of the story.
Valued Member
United States
165 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   9:27 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jamesg to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I believe the ad is ambiguous regarding whether value is catalog or face and the detailed description implies he uses catalog value on large lots, so....I think he is most likely intentionally being deceptive.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 07/13/2021   10:16 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
This has always been a mystery to me. Always read the ad and look at the photos before bidding if it still not clear, ask... I can't understand why people bid before they know what they are bidding on.
Pillar Of The Community
United States
576 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   01:08 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add modernstamps to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jconey,
I bid on the auction shortly before the auction closed.
I asked a question about the face value not matching the title of the auction, and the seller never got back before the auction closed. I figured I would get a clarification that it was $30 face value. Again, I take your point about checking out auctions before bidding.
Valued Member
Learn More...
United States
78 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   01:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gwanghoops to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I counted $11.34 FV for fun.

intentionally ambiguous as the seller does know something about stamps. has over 500 active items, none which mention face value.

In defense of the OP, some of my best "finds" on eBay were because of ambiguous, unclear, or incomplete descriptions. For face value items like this one, always verify.

only negative is scary:

BUYER BEWARE. before you bid, check your risk tolerance. Fact statement: I was sent wrong item, twice attempted to resolve with return for correct item listed "as per scan," twice refused. Requested refund as last resort, which seller previously indicated unwillingness to do. Return for refund accepted, I paid return postage and duly returned. While in transit, seller indicated next manouvre; on arrival, refused refund, then opened "fraud" and "thief" case against me. (Familiar, anybody?) Classy

Pillar Of The Community
United States
965 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   04:53 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jbcev80 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi

I agree with some comments. If there is a question on a lot, ask before you bid. If the seller is "abusive" you can just forget it.

Jerry B
Pillar Of The Community
United States
529 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   10:34 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jconey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
modernstamps: No offense intended, if any was taken and I appreciate your comments. I do understand the last minute panic bid. As a seller on eBay, this is a pet peeve of mine.

For my example in this post: I also sell maintenance/repair items for HO Locomotives. This doesn't happen all the time but a few (6-8) times a year someone will buy something from me on a buy-in-now (BIN) ad and then complain that it wasn't what they were looking for or they don't fit. Mistaking drive bands (that make the engines go), for traction tires (that go on the wheel to give it grip).

Often I explain the difference (by cut and paste part of the ad's description) in the message and wind up refunding the purchase and paying postage both ways. It's obvious that they not only don't know the names of what they are looking for but that they don't read the ads. The title is perfectly descriptive of what it is. The description starts out warning people what they are not. I wish the title field was long enough for disclaimers. Now admittedly, 6-8 times a year is a drop in the bucket for how many I sell but it can still be irksome that people don't read the ads or check photos.
Edited by jconey - 07/14/2021 10:35 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
786 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:07 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add mootermutt987 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I am amazed at how offended (offensive?) buyers get when they buy the wrong thing. Misrepresentation is one thing, but buying a certain HO traction tire and being ignorant that it goes to a different loco is just negligent. I have accidentally bought the wrong thing a few times on eBay (mostly stamps) and I have simply eaten it. If it's my fault, I will eat it. If it's misrepresented (or misidentified) by the seller, I will try to return it, if it is worth the effort. I have a bunch of things that I simply don't have any use for, but my word is my pact so they are now my problem.

As to this particular face lot, I suspect the $30 claim has more to do with CV. The description is admittedly ambiguous, to me. Has anyone tallied up the CV of the stamps shown? I suspect that when he says 'mint postage' that he more accurately means 'mint postage stamps' and the $30 is the CV. It can be easy for someone to create a description and not see the inaccuracy/ambiguity of his words. If I were the seller, and one of my lots got returned due to a misunderstanding, I would try to fold that knowledge into re-doing the description. I don't want a repeat failed transaction! This guy appears to have something 'invested' in his description and is unwilling to change it.

There is no excuse for the abusive response from the seller, though. Abuse like that can (and should) get him kicked off of eBay, especially of it is ongoing.

My advice: remember the guy's ID. Put it in your rear view mirror. there's not a lot you can do beyond what you've already done. This is just one of those 'shyster-y' abusive sellers. Ultimately, he will go away. You have told us, and I know I won't buy from this seller. Other dissatisfied buyers will leave their mark on this guy's record. In the end, his own behavior will catch up with him.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
6833 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:08 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add rogdcam to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I emailed the seller and asked him why the discrepancy. Here is his response:

Quote:
New message from: lulleypop Top Rated Seller(4,372Red Star)
If you counted why are you asking me to count it??? In any case the item has been edited. Count yourself and do not waste my time.
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
United States
6315 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:24 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add bookbndrbob to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Not intending to "pile on", but I do remember this seller as one I would "pass on by". Glad I never made a purchase from him.
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 25 / Views: 1,362Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.23 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05