Stamp Community Family of Web Sites
Thousands of stamps, consistently graded, competitively priced and hundreds of in-depth blog posts to read
Stamp Community Forum

Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Welcome Guest! Need help? Got a question? Inherit some stamps?
Our stamp forum is completely free! Register Now!

Cameroun #170 Question

Next Page    

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.
Author Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 494Next Topic
Page: of 2
Pillar Of The Community

Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   07:15 am  Show Profile Bookmark this topic Add Just_fella to your friends list Get a Link to this Message
Wondering if there's doubling of the olive green & brown?

Vs

Send note to Staff
Edited by Just_fella - 07/14/2021 08:06 am

Pillar Of The Community
United States
5467 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   08:00 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
We need a picture of the stamp ?
Send note to Staff  Go to Top of Page
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   08:27 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's the left hand side with postes that had me question
Could be worn or dirty plate?
Pillar Of The Community
United States
7615 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   08:54 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Petert4522 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Looks like it is overinked to me

Peter
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   09:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Then over-inked it is
Edited by Just_fella - 07/14/2021 09:27 am
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   09:57 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
French colony issues of this period often have a lot of variation - overinking, shifted centres, colour variations, etc.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   1:32 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Good to know thanks :)
Pillar Of The Community
United States
1992 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   5:37 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add shermae to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I would not be surprised if these 2 stamps represented 2 different, undocumented printings. I have never found a good reference for French Colonies printings. Perhaps they were never documented.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   6:13 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Ya I'm slowly collecting catalogues now :)
Guess it comes with the hobby
Pillar Of The Community
Learn More...
Canada
927 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   6:53 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add gmot to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Indeed hard to find this info. Maury has the # printed (tirage) blank for all the values in this long-running set (1925 to 1938 IIRC). And this was a common value in it.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/14/2021   7:03 pm  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
It's disappointing getting a new catalogue thinking you'll find information
Then quickly realize you'll have to buy another
Pillar Of The Community
United States
624 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:01 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add billsey to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Tyler says that the top one is one of the common forgeries of these French Colony issues. The quality of the lettering under the main design is an indicator.
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:03 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
a forgery I can live with calling it that!
No wonder it look so bad
Thanks billsey

[/center]
Edited by Just_fella - 07/15/2021 12:12 am
Valued Member
United States
154 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:16 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add jossanders52 to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
I did collect French colonies for many years. I just sold my collection last months in Gaerner auctions Germany.
I agree with Peter that it is just a printing variation.

Forgeries in the French colonies are mainly found in the older pre-1900 stamps and in the expensive overprints and surcharges after 1900.

The stamps in the tread is a very cheap, very common stamp, so why forge it. A forgery to defraud the post office is also hardly possible. How can they make any money forging a 1c. stamp?
Pillar Of The Community
Canada
1048 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:20 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add Just_fella to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Selling to collectors?
I'm ok with it being either it's different in my books
A fake or variations just wanted to know what I was looking at
Edited by Just_fella - 07/15/2021 12:25 am
Pillar Of The Community
United States
5467 Posts
Posted 07/15/2021   12:40 am  Show Profile Bookmark this reply Add floortrader to your friends list  Get a Link to this Reply
Jossanders ----I am shocked ---VERY SHOCKED ---that you claim this old stamp is a common low value stamp. I thought it was a very old and valuable gem in my collection .

I can't believe you would say a very common and very cheap stamp ? Who ever seen this stamp before ?
Edited by floortrader - 07/15/2021 09:50 am
Page: of 2 Previous TopicReplies: 18 / Views: 494Next Topic  
Next Page

To participate in the forum you must log in or register.

Go to Top of Page
Disclaimer: While a tremendous amount of effort goes into ensuring the accuracy of the information contained in this site, Stamp Community assumes no liability for errors. Copyright 2005 - 2021 Stamp Community Family - All rights reserved worldwide. Use of any images or content on this website without prior written permission of Stamp Community or the original lender is strictly prohibited.
Privacy Policy / Terms of Use    Advertise Here
Stamp Community Forum © 2007 - 2021 Stamp Community Forums
It took 0.22 seconds to lick this stamp. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000 Version 3.4.05